Dell Laptop Components seen in DM but not working

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
Dell Inspiron 15 5000 shows the network adapter in the Device Manager but it is not recognizing my cat5 cable (tested on another pc to ensure functionality).

Webcam is not functioning. It says there is a missing dll file.
Touchscreen function is also not working.

I ran tests at bios startup and only the battery is suspect. Bios doesn't show any of these as being able to be turned off. Any ideas?

Windows 10 - Fresh Reset/Install - All drivers have been updated through device manager AFTER i used drp.su website tool.

Solution
Good that you have gotten two of the three working.

It does take time and effort to find and install drivers. Recommended source is always the manufacturer's website. Your computer's manufacturer probably being the second choice - but that can fall short. (Manufacturers will simply not spend money to maintain anything they are not making money on.)

After those two options finding the correct drivers becomes problematic.

Drivers are always an issue but the source(s) of drivers are likewise a constant concern. There are all too many websites out there that tend to mislead visitors into thinking that the drivers being offered will fix any given issue. Usually along with some tool or other application to make the driver update...

Ralston18

Titan
Windows 10? Which version? Any known recent changes or updates? Other file related errors.

My thought is corrupted drivers....

Start by downloading the applicable drivers from each respective manufacturer's website. Three different drivers are needed:

1) Network adapter (wired).

2) Webcam

3) Touchscreen.

Download only one driver at a time and work to get the device operational.

Then move on to the next device while keeping an eye on the previous device or devices to ensure that those devices are not "lost" again.

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013

Windows 10 - Fresh Reset/Install - All drivers have been updated through device manager AFTER i used drp.su website tool. I also have used the built in windows 10 network reset tool which deletes and rebuilds the network adapters.

Who told you to use dubious tools to update drivers? Where you have installed Windows from?

Start from scratch - restore factory image, go to Dell site, enter your Service Tag, download drivers.

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013

The dell drivers did not help. drp.su has been used many times, its not a spyware program like others. It is not dubious either. It is very useful and proved helpful many times in the past on other boxes. You might look into it. Its not what you may be presuming. But tanks for the concern. Also this was all started after a fresh install. I even took the laptop apart, reseated all of the ribbon cables and what not. Still nothing.

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
So I got the touchscreen to work by updating the driver which was not located in 'human interface devices' but under 'mice and other pointing devices' as a USB device. The camera is still not working with windows 10. Dell drivers do not help.

Update: I got the webcam to work. There was some intel RealSense software managing the webcam. uninstalled the software and the Device Manager entry for the webcam listed in Universal Serial Bus devices (yes, a built in laptop cam) and the webcam under Cameras. Deleted/reinstalled the Windows10 Camera app through the app list and refreshed new devices in device manager and the cam worked.

Now for the Network Adapter...

Ralston18

Titan
Good that you have gotten two of the three working.

It does take time and effort to find and install drivers. Recommended source is always the manufacturer's website. Your computer's manufacturer probably being the second choice - but that can fall short. (Manufacturers will simply not spend money to maintain anything they are not making money on.)

After those two options finding the correct drivers becomes problematic.

Drivers are always an issue but the source(s) of drivers are likewise a constant concern. There are all too many websites out there that tend to mislead visitors into thinking that the drivers being offered will fix any given issue. Usually along with some tool or other application to make the driver update automatic and transparent to the user.

Often such sites make any number of attempts to misdirect and make the visitor click a misleading button (and often buttons) which do not result in the expected download.

What gets downloaded can be just about anything.

I visited the website as I was not familiar with it. My immediate reaction to the website was quite negative. Especially when a website attempts to dress itself up with some Windows like icon and splashes around logos. (Did not note any Trademark or Copyright markings either.)

There were a number of other things that set off alarm bells as well. The "counter" to me is never a good sign.

Not saying that drp.su is a bad site per se but I would not have trusted it. And left it as quickly as I could.

Solution

watrhous

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
I could not get the Network adapter to work but I think its a hardware issue considering there is a big chunk of laptop case missing from the ac jack next to it. Oh well ... as for drp.su people can use at their own risk. I have had 0 issues myself and i always tell people that 100% of driver updater programs are garbage and scams. But drp.su is not selling anything, just pushing sponsor AV from what i can see. Anyway, praise the lord i got my drivers done!

Ralston18

Titan
You have a couple of options:

1) USB to Ethernet adapter

2) USB wireless adapter.

Try 1) first.

Purchase a USB to Ethernet adapter that, if possible, matches your router brand.

Be sure to disable the laptop's built in Ethernet adapter and uninstall the existing drivers.