[SOLVED] Dell Laptop crashing randomly ?

Josh17

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
I have a Dell Inspiron 7506 laptop that is currently driving me up the wall. Since maybe 4 weeks or so it has been randomly crashing with no real patterns. At one stage it was doing it every 30 minutes or so. Then is seemed fine and only crashed once a week. But today it has done it 4 times, so it is at the point where i really need to get it resolved.

When I say crashing, it isn’t blue screening. Screen goes black, turns off and restarts straight away and comes back on pretty quick.

It is running an i7-1165G7 with 16GB of RAM and a 2TB WD Black SSD. I did run through all of Dell's own diagnostics with no results showing any hardware issues. I have then done the following -

• Full antivirus scan
  • Update all drivers
  • Made sure windows is up to date. Even updated to Windows 11 today from 10 and still the same
  • Updated all programs such as Adobe
  • CCleaner scan
I haven’t changed anything that I am aware of that I could point the finger at that could have started this. And as it has no pattern it is hard to say much more. But it is getting real annoying now as it is happening in the middle of work Zoom calls.

Any advice on next steps to try? I was going to look at event viewer but wasn’t sure what to look at and if this would be of help?

Thanks

Solution
Have you used the service tag on said laptop to narrow down the support page for your laptop? If so, are you on the latest BIOS version for your laptop? If you have a number of BIOS versions pending update, don't jump to the latest. Instead, gradually, work your way to the latest version.

I'd advise against using CCleaner since it does more harm once you've moved past Windows 8/8.1. As for your laptop, once you've installed the OS(without internet access), see if you can manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. During installation, when you're connected to the www, the OS will download drivers it thinks is right for the laptop. I've had 2 rare cases where the wrong...

Lutfij

Titan
Have you used the service tag on said laptop to narrow down the support page for your laptop? If so, are you on the latest BIOS version for your laptop? If you have a number of BIOS versions pending update, don't jump to the latest. Instead, gradually, work your way to the latest version.

I'd advise against using CCleaner since it does more harm once you've moved past Windows 8/8.1. As for your laptop, once you've installed the OS(without internet access), see if you can manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. During installation, when you're connected to the www, the OS will download drivers it thinks is right for the laptop. I've had 2 rare cases where the wrong drivers were causing the laptop to shutdown due to overheating.

Also, where did you source the installer for Windows 10/11?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS