Dell Laptop Uses Intel's New Cooling Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
So this new cooling system cools off components by blowing colder outside air across them? Wow, this is pretty revolutionary stuff.

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, gee I would've never thought that actively blowing cool air into a device would allow for cooler, quieter, more efficient operation of the internal components. I guess that's why I didn't get into MIT.

zolutar

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
uhh in the older systems, didnt the fan have to blow out hot air? in turn cold air comes in to replace it no? so whats so revolutionary here?

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Wow how many millions of R&D was spent to figure out that blowing On components is better than trying to suck air off them. Hello? This is the standard for desktop solutions. ALL FANS BLOW ON COMPNENTS OR ACROSS THEM WITH AN EXHAUST FAN to eliminate the heat from the case. Holly freaking crap this isn't rocket science. This is more Bill Nye stuff.

Dizzy21

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
So props to Tom's for reporting on important industry revelations, but boo on Intel (and Dell on principle) for drumming this idea up with marketing and charging more for fans that have been reversed. Seriously, someone flipped a switch on a robot and now they charge more for the computer. Congratulations you marketing maniacs.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Marketing shenanigans aside, I'm glad for any advancement. I have a Studio 15 which has been a pretty good laptop, but I hate Dell's fan speed scheme which leaves the fan off most of the time, then kicks it up to one of 4-5 preset speeds instead of ramping up gradually. Quieter laptops are something they definitely had to work on.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
yeah, I don't really get it either. So instead of the fan being at the rear of the cooling/vent system it's now at the front????

Then on top of that they call it something that sounds "coo", but is just plain dumb.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Anybody else thinking that dust might be an even bigger problem here? I'd like to see how well they designed this solution so the fan on the left doesn't suddenly become a vacuum cleaner when the fan kicks up.

[citation][nom]zolutar[/nom]uhh in the older systems, didnt the fan have to blow out hot air? in turn cold air comes in to replace it no? so whats so revolutionary here?[/citation]

Having taken apart pretty much every brand of laptop and many models I can say this is new, to the laptop market. The original idea was to use a fan to pull the hot air off the components and push it outside.

Most laptops would use a single, flat heatpipe that would cover the critical components, normall the CPU but sometimes the CPU and the GPU. Then a fan would pull the heat off of the end of the heatpipe and out the side or back.

This instead uses an idea that desktop PCs has used for a long time. Pull in cool air, push it over the components then out the back again. Enthusiast PCs normally pull air in the front and side and then up and out the back and top. It creates air flow which laptops have lacked.

I hope this idea sticks though. Laptops parts die faster due to heat, especially HDDs. Intel always tries to find a better way to cool, such as with BTX where the CPU sits in front of the PC where the air is cooler. Unfortunatley BTX didn't pass so it was only used by the OEMs in a small number of models for a short while.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Don't get too excited. If I read that right, both ports are at the back. Can you say recycled hot air? I can, cuz, I totally just did.

Honestly, do these guys really know nothing about air cooling? I have literally NEVER taken a physics class and I know that you can't cool a hot component with hot air.

Seriously Dell, this is just pathetic.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
1366x768 is such a crap resolution. It's 1024x768 with a tiny bit of added width, to make it "widescreen". Um... no thanks. My laptop in 1996 had 1024x768 resolution.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
what a major break through... Ive had my case fans set up so that they intake cool air at the front and then another pair of fans to suck the hot air out at the back... ive been doing this for quite a while...

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]zolutar[/nom]uhh in the older systems, didnt the fan have to blow out hot air? in turn cold air comes in to replace it no? so whats so revolutionary here?[/citation]
With only an exhaust fan, the chassis is under constant vacuum. By changing the design to just an intake fan, the chassis becomes pressurized - so you have greater air density, and more cooling capacity. It isn't revolutionary, but it is an improvement over the traditional vacuum design.

mikie tim t

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
We can only hope that they put easy to access hatches so that you can blow all of the dust and accumulated pet hair from the components that are getting this cool air. I think we all know what the inside of a desktop looks like after 8-10 months of running full tilt.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]brianmoz[/nom]why dont you snobby dudes come up with a better design then[/citation]
Okay, how about blowing air out the top. Hot air rises so that is a cooling improvement already.

[citation][nom]Quote[/nom]"By using cold air directly from the outside and then directly blowing across the hot components, you create a more efficient cooling solution," said Rajiv Mongia, a principal engineer at Intel. "This is because by blowing air across the components, you create more intense convective cooling and often get more cooling flow through the platform."[/citation]
I don't know what is more insulting, presenting this idea as if it were new, or the condescending "explanation" about blowing cool air that any 5 year old could figure out about his microwave mac & cheese.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
In their older system you need to turn on the air conditioner to cool the laptop - dell laptop is good but bulky (referring to my old laptop).

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Okay, how about blowing air out the top. Hot air rises so that is a cooling improvement already.I don't know what is more insulting, presenting this idea as if it were new, or the condescending "explanation" about blowing cool air that any 5 year old could figure out about his microwave mac & cheese.[/citation]

All this talk of mac and cheese is making me hungry.....

On a side note, computer parts generate heat?!@?!?!?!!!2?#one

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Soo it took this long to implement a cooling convection in laptops that has been in desktops for years? I never really looked into how laptops generally cool themselves, but looking back at the laptops I've owned, ya it actually has taken this long. I should have ran with this idea first lol. Soo does this design work with wider laptops too? My concern would be for wider laptops where perhaps excess heat might be stuck in between? Could be wrong here. Unless of course, a third fan in the middle also pushes the air in the right direction.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Wow this is amazing, i never knew that blowing cooler air on something would cool it down.

This finding is well worth the millions the company probably spent on hiring people to "develop"

Status
Not open for further replies.