Question Dell laptop won't turn on

Dec 10, 2021
3
0
10
0
Dell Inspiron 15 7558 (2 in 1) failed to turn on (no on-light, black
screen, no sounds) shortly after a storm. Before I realized there was a
problem, battery was nearly depleted. I used few remaining minutes of
battery life to go to Bios, vaguely recall getting message that
charger/adapter not recognized. Then battery went dead. Can't recall if
windows loaded before battery died or if I could only go to Bios (I was
using 2nd laptop to google problem).
Have done all the suggestions on google, drained residual electricity,
tried new charger/adapter (but later found that the original tested fine
with multimeter (and it lights up)), tried new adapter jack/port, tried
with and and without battery.
I don't have a way to charge the battery (which might allow me to boot
and see if bios gives clue). Trying not to spend anything on parts unless I
know what problem is. Am thinking motherboard problem with charging? My
computer skills limited, but I can follow directions and am sure I can
replace motherboard if likely that is the problem. Downloaded service manual
with good instructions. I can buy one on ebay for $33 (open box).
Does anyone have ideas for diagnosing problem? What about power on/off
button board? Would a computer repair place likely be able to charge my
battery?
Thanks for any suggestions
 
Dec 10, 2021
3
0
10
0
Is the power brick same as adapter/charger? If so, tried a new one with no luck. Also, old one LED lights up and it tests good with multimeter.
 

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
984
187
640
119
Might be something on the laptop then. As you say, the power button board might be worth replacing if you can get one cheap. But you also might have some blown voltage regulators near the power socket if you got a surge through the brick. Very difficult to replace those, it might be toast.
 
Dec 10, 2021
3
0
10
0
Might be something on the laptop then. As you say, the power button board might be worth replacing if you can get one cheap. But you also might have some blown voltage regulators near the power socket if you got a surge through the brick. Very difficult to replace those, it might be toast.
Thanks, I'm assuming then that these voltage regulators are not part of the motherboard, so that replacing the motherboard wouldn't fix that problem if that's what it is?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY