Dell Latitde C640 Hard Drive Info. Help

Al

I recently bought a Dell Latitude C640 for a repair project. I replaced the
LCD and Hard Drive, (they were trashed). Since the origanal drive was fried
and could not be cloned, I clone the drive from my Inspiron 8600 and chaned
the drivers and other relivent files. The one thing that I have not been
able to change is the reference in the System Properties ie.

Dell Computer Corporation
Dell Inspiron 8600 (This is the part I would like to change)
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M
processor 2.0 Ghz 512 GB of RAM

I've searched files and the registry but can not find where this information
is stored.
Can any body tell me where to find the reference to this?
TIA
Al
al@sposeto.(remove)net

On my machine running Windows ME, that information is located at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0

Changing the values there, will change what's displayed under Properties.
Not sure if the same location is available under Windows XP etc.

As always, back up your Registry before messing with it.

----

"Al" <sposeto@cox.net> wrote in message
> I recently bought a Dell Latitude C640 for a repair project. I replaced
the
> LCD and Hard Drive, (they were trashed). Since the origanal drive was
fried
> and could not be cloned, I clone the drive from my Inspiron 8600 and
chaned
> the drivers and other relivent files. The one thing that I have not been
> able to change is the reference in the System Properties ie.
>
> Dell Computer Corporation
> Dell Inspiron 8600 (This is the part I would like to change)
> Intel(R) Pentium(R) M
> processor 2.0 Ghz 512 GB of RAM
>
> I've searched files and the registry but can not find where this
information
> is stored.
> Can any body tell me where to find the reference to this?
> TIA
> Al
> al@sposeto.(remove)net

Al

Thanks for the reply. I found that entry before. It gives the processor
description but not the system description ie. Dell INSPIRON 8600, and also
the support information ie. service tag number, etc.
"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On my machine running Windows ME, that information is located at:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0
>
> Changing the values there, will change what's displayed under Properties.
> Not sure if the same location is available under Windows XP etc.
>
> As always, back up your Registry before messing with it.

> ----
>
> "Al" <sposeto@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I recently bought a Dell Latitude C640 for a repair project. I replaced
> the
>> LCD and Hard Drive, (they were trashed). Since the origanal drive was
> fried
>> and could not be cloned, I clone the drive from my Inspiron 8600 and
> chaned
>> the drivers and other relivent files. The one thing that I have not been
>> able to change is the reference in the System Properties ie.
>>
>> Dell Computer Corporation
>> Dell Inspiron 8600 (This is the part I would like to change)
>> Intel(R) Pentium(R) M
>> processor 2.0 Ghz 512 GB of RAM
>>
>> I've searched files and the registry but can not find where this
> information
>> is stored.
>> Can any body tell me where to find the reference to this?
>> TIA
>> Al
>> al@sposeto.(remove)net

Located in the same place when running XP.

"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On my machine running Windows ME, that information is located at:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0
>
> Changing the values there, will change what's displayed under Properties.
> Not sure if the same location is available under Windows XP etc.
>
> As always, back up your Registry before messing with it.

> ----
>
> "Al" <sposeto@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I recently bought a Dell Latitude C640 for a repair project. I replaced
> the
>> LCD and Hard Drive, (they were trashed). Since the origanal drive was
> fried
>> and could not be cloned, I clone the drive from my Inspiron 8600 and
> chaned
>> the drivers and other relivent files. The one thing that I have not been
>> able to change is the reference in the System Properties ie.
>>
>> Dell Computer Corporation
>> Dell Inspiron 8600 (This is the part I would like to change)
>> Intel(R) Pentium(R) M
>> processor 2.0 Ghz 512 GB of RAM
>>
>> I've searched files and the registry but can not find where this
> information
>> is stored.
>> Can any body tell me where to find the reference to this?
>> TIA
>> Al
>> al@sposeto.(remove)net

In windows 98 my machine's name is located in two places

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SBInfo\WINEMA
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP

although the first one appears to be the key entry.