Dell Latitude C600

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hello,
i got an old Dell Latitude C600 Laptop. But i am having some small
problems with it.
I do not get the internal modem/nic to work. As i called dell, the
support could not tell me anything about it, only that it has a
internal modem. On the driver page was also nothing to be found.
Anybody has this laptop too and could tell me, where i get the
drivers? (unluckily, i did not get the original driver cd with this
peace of hardware)
At the moment i have a Xircom Pcmcia Cardbus running. But the connects
are kind bad. Instead of 50K Connect i get sometimes 9K,16K,24K or
eveb 46K. That makes surving the web pretty worse.

Bye
Joerg
 

David

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
2,039
0
19,780
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Not sure EXACTLY what you are looking for as
modem and nic are separate devices and have their
own drivers.
I checked on the dell website and both modem and nic
drivers are there.
Dave
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Joerg Jaeger <yester64@gmx.net> wrote in
news:ao2m61p3hqs1n62j1h8ss4p4lhpqdk6cdt@4ax.com:

> Hello,
> i got an old Dell Latitude C600 Laptop. But i am having some small
> problems with it.
> I do not get the internal modem/nic to work. As i called dell, the
> support could not tell me anything about it, only that it has a
> internal modem. On the driver page was also nothing to be found.
> Anybody has this laptop too and could tell me, where i get the
> drivers?

If the modem in your C600 is the same as in my C640, it's what XP calls a
"PCTEL 2304WT V.92 MDC Modem".

I got the drivers from the Dell website, by following the links for the
service tag.

I know that there are drivers for XP and 2000, I'm not sure about anything
else. Maybe you didn't see drivers if you were looking under a different
OS?


- FM -
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Joerg Jaeger" <yester64@gmx.net> wrote:
> i got an old Dell Latitude C600 Laptop. But i am having some
> small problems with it.
> I do not get the internal modem/nic to work. As i called dell,
> the support could not tell me anything about it, only that it
> has a internal modem. On the driver page was also nothing to
> be found.
> Anybody has this laptop too and could tell me, where i get
> the drivers?

Step 1: do you really have an internal nic/modem? The jacks on the side of
the case only work if a miniPCI card is installed inside. So loosen the two
screws on the bottom and remove the cover plate. You'll see cavities for
two memory sodimms and one square-shaped space for the miniPCI card. If
there is no card there, that's your problem. If there is, it could be a
modem-only mpci, a nic-only mpci, or a combo modem+nic mpci. If it's a
combo card, there should be two small cables plugged into the edge of the
card on the opposite edge from the socket connector. Those cables connect
the card to the jacks on the side of the case. If it's a modem-only or
nic-only card, only one of the two cables will be plugged in. Make a note
of the brand/model number printed on the mpci card. The brand is probably
Actiontec or 3-Com.

Step 2: if you're certain you have a combo card, and both cables are
connected to the edge of it, then power on and go into the bios setup. One
of the bios pages should acknowledge that it found the mpci. If not, then
you've got a hardware problem--possibly a bad mpci card.

Step 3: if the bios recognizes you have a combo mpci card, then boot Windows
and check device manager to see what it says. You should have one entry
under network adapters and one entry under modems. If not there, look under
unknown devices. To find drivers, go to Dell site, search by your service
tag number or by Latitude C600. Specify your operating system and look for
"communications drivers". Find the download for your brand. NIC and modem
drivers are combined in one download. When you download and extract the
files, you'll get both drivers, but both have to be installed separately.
In device mgr, right-click the appropriate device (modem or nic), choose
"update driver", and point the wizard to the correct directory, either the
nic or modem directory. Then do the same for the other device.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi,

let me get that strait. The plugs on the left side from the laptop,
still need to have a miniPCI board. Wauh, then I assume I got screwd.
Because I check the bay on the bottom of the laptop, and its empty.
What amazes me is that the dell guy told me, that it had an onboard
modem. But somehow I was thinking something like that already. Makes
sense.
Anyway, I got me a Xircom Modem/Nic Card PCMCIA. Works so far. To my
surprise, Dialup is..mm slow. Somehow my modem has some wired connects
sometimes, but that is perhaps a dialup feature. :)


On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:27:57 GMT, "dg1261" <dgREMOVE-THIS1261@cs.com>
wrote:

>
>"Joerg Jaeger" <yester64@gmx.net> wrote:
>> i got an old Dell Latitude C600 Laptop. But i am having some
>> small problems with it.
>> I do not get the internal modem/nic to work. As i called dell,
>> the support could not tell me anything about it, only that it
>> has a internal modem. On the driver page was also nothing to
>> be found.
>> Anybody has this laptop too and could tell me, where i get
>> the drivers?
>
>Step 1: do you really have an internal nic/modem? The jacks on the side of
>the case only work if a miniPCI card is installed inside. So loosen the two
>screws on the bottom and remove the cover plate. You'll see cavities for
>two memory sodimms and one square-shaped space for the miniPCI card. If
>there is no card there, that's your problem. If there is, it could be a
>modem-only mpci, a nic-only mpci, or a combo modem+nic mpci. If it's a
>combo card, there should be two small cables plugged into the edge of the
>card on the opposite edge from the socket connector. Those cables connect
>the card to the jacks on the side of the case. If it's a modem-only or
>nic-only card, only one of the two cables will be plugged in. Make a note
>of the brand/model number printed on the mpci card. The brand is probably
>Actiontec or 3-Com.
>
>Step 2: if you're certain you have a combo card, and both cables are
>connected to the edge of it, then power on and go into the bios setup. One
>of the bios pages should acknowledge that it found the mpci. If not, then
>you've got a hardware problem--possibly a bad mpci card.
>
>Step 3: if the bios recognizes you have a combo mpci card, then boot Windows
>and check device manager to see what it says. You should have one entry
>under network adapters and one entry under modems. If not there, look under
>unknown devices. To find drivers, go to Dell site, search by your service
>tag number or by Latitude C600. Specify your operating system and look for
>"communications drivers". Find the download for your brand. NIC and modem
>drivers are combined in one download. When you download and extract the
>files, you'll get both drivers, but both have to be installed separately.
>In device mgr, right-click the appropriate device (modem or nic), choose
>"update driver", and point the wizard to the correct directory, either the
>nic or modem directory. Then do the same for the other device.
>
>


Bye
Joerg
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Joerg Jaeger" <yester64@gmx.net> wrote:
> let me get that strait. The plugs on the left side from the laptop,
> still need to have a miniPCI board. Wauh, then I assume I got screwd.
> Because I check the bay on the bottom of the laptop, and its empty.
> What amazes me is that the dell guy told me, that it had an onboard
> modem.

That's correct. The jacks on the side are just decoration without a
mini-PCI card.

What was the Dell guy basing his info on? Did you give him the Service Tag?
If so, perhaps he was going by his database of what was originally shipped
with the laptop. It might have had a modem-only mpci originally, but along
the way someone may have stripped it--not unusual if you got the machine
second-hand. Memory, batteries, hard drives, and mpci's are often
mix-and-matched on second-hand machines.

Anyway, those cards are cheap--dozens of them, even new ones, on ebay for
around $15. (If interested, look under Laptop Parts > Other Parts, and do a
search for "dell mini-pci".)

I don't have any idea what's the problem with your Xircom pcmcia. I had a
Xircom combo pcmcia here but the dongle broke. It was cheaper to buy a
combo mpci card than it was to replace that stupid little dongle, so the
pcmcia is sitting in a box gathering dust.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS