dell latitude d360

Not sure where you're at. Is 'D' your Optical (CD) Drive? Or is it a partition on your HDD? What exactly are you trying to achieve? Re-install XP?

minesatetleys

Honorable
May 10, 2013

it's a cd/dvd drive
I want to record my music and my pc to read cd's and dvd's

This might be connected to your malware issues you raise in another thread. Fix those and the Registry may heal itself but if it doesn't, go from Start to Run and into the Open box, type regedit and press Enter. From the File menu, choose Export then note the name and location of the file you're creating - it is a Registry backup and you might need it if anything goes wrong.

Next, navigate to the this key;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Be care there because there are several keys which start with the same characters. Click on the key and ook in the right hand pane for entries named LOWER FILTERS and UPPER FILTERS. Right click each in turn and select delete them.

Leave the Registry by the File>Exit menu and restart the computer - twice. Your CD ROM or R/W should work properly but if some recording software had made the change to your Registry, it may not be fully functional.

minesatetleys

Honorable
May 10, 2013

hi there is no cd rom drive listed just c:

Right! I've been scanning the web for a D360... something badly amiss with XP if you can't view Device Manager...
Try what Saga Lout suggests and we'll take it from there...
(You must have been in My Computer or Windows Explorer to see C:, not Device Manager)