Question Dell Latitude D830 Laptop

Anderson10304

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
Hello Community,

I have a dell latitude, I plan to upgrade the memory to either 4 or 8 gb in order to install windows 7 or 8.

I'm wondering whether 4gb would be suffice to run windows 8 and whether installing an SSD to improve performance in terms of the laptop running a little quicker with multiple applications open for instance.

Any links to the hardware required would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your replies community

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Quite an old system. Yes, replacing the drive will improve general loading times.

4GB is probably fine. It was capable of having Vista installed.

DDR2 667, 4GB is the maximum.

You'll need a pair of 2GB sticks for 4GB:

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/latitude-d830

Doesn't have to be crucial, but you just need to match the voltages, speeds, and timings. DDR2 800 will likely also work, just run at the slower speed.

Anderson10304

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
Quite an old system. Yes, replacing the drive will improve general loading times.

4GB is probably fine. It was capable of having Vista installed.

DDR2 667, 4GB is the maximum.

You'll need a pair of 2GB sticks for 4GB:

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/latitude-d830

Doesn't have to be crucial, but you just need to match the voltages, speeds, and timings. DDR2 800 will likely also work, just run at the slower speed.

Thanks very much for you reply and link, so 4gb is fine to run windows 7 or 8 with a say 300gb SSD, don't suppose you have a link for this as well.

Thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I assume any 2.5" SATA drive will do. The computer won't be fast enough to take advantage of the faster drives anyway.

Kingston, Adata, Western Digital, Samsung, Crucial, etc all make mid-range SSDs that will do just fine in an old laptop.

Typical SSD sizes are going to be 240GB - 256GB If you need 300GB you'll have to jump up to 500GB, 512GB, or Crucial's 525GB.