[SOLVED] Dell latitude E5410 Laptop CPU speed drops to 1.19 GHz when unplugged from AC power and gradually increases back up to 2.90 GHz

Feb 1, 2021
Today I was stress testing my CPU and accidentally unplugged my laptop and then I opened task manager and saw my CPU speed dropped to 1.19 GHz and gradually increased to its normal speed 2.90 GHz. Does anyone know the cause of this?

Specs of laptop:
Intel Core i5 540M (Turbo Boost + Hyperthreading)
Intel HD graphics
4GB DDR3 RAM at 2666 MHz
BIOS revision A16

Solution
Today I was stress testing my CPU and accidentally unplugged my laptop and then I opened task manager and saw my CPU speed dropped to 1.19 GHz and gradually increased to its normal speed 2.90 GHz. Does anyone know the cause of this?

Specs of laptop:
Intel HD graphics
4GB DDR3 RAM at 2666 MHz
BIOS revision A16

CPU nowadays are competing for efficiency. It is normal if you are not using your PC for anything heavy like video rendering or hardcore gaming, it will automatically decrease it's speed, it will adjust accordingly depending on what you're doing on it. Plus, in this case you are switching from AC power to battery. Most laptop battery has a fairly lower power than it's AC...

Bagaskoro Olga Yonear

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

Specs of laptop:
Intel HD graphics
4GB DDR3 RAM at 2666 MHz
BIOS revision A16

CPU nowadays are competing for efficiency. It is normal if you are not using your PC for anything heavy like video rendering or hardcore gaming, it will automatically decrease it's speed, it will adjust accordingly depending on what you're doing on it. Plus, in this case you are switching from AC power to battery. Most laptop battery has a fairly lower power than it's AC power. And for that reason, it will also run slower in battery than AC power. I mostly use my laptop for design, video edit and sometimes gaming, so I really noticed the difference in performance drop.

Solution
Feb 1, 2021
CPU nowadays are competing for efficiency. It is normal if you are not using your PC for anything heavy like video rendering or hardcore gaming, it will automatically decrease it's speed, it will adjust accordingly depending on what you're doing on it. Plus, in this case you are switching from AC power to battery. Most laptop battery has a fairly lower power than it's AC power. And for that reason, it will also run slower in battery than AC power. I mostly use my laptop for design, video edit and sometimes gaming, so I really noticed the difference in performance drop.
Thanks for the answer! 😊