[SOLVED] Dell Latitude E5500 msata. Possible?

Tetsuo1981

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
Hi all

Simple question which Google hasn't been overly helpful with. I'd like to add a msata drive (if possible) to a Dell Latitude E5500 by removing the mobile Internet / wwan card. Purely as storage, not interested in booting from it. Trying to pimp up my sons Xmas present on a teeny almost nonexistent budget. Don't want to lose the optical drive, have a spare small-ish ssd I'm going to use as bootable drive. Asking as I've seen it can be done on some laptops (some Lenovo Thinkpads) and wondered if it was a 'thing' or just a lenovo thing. My laptop experience is non existent so any help, even if its a resounding 'no' would be great.

Cheers

popatim

Titan
You likely could install an M2 drive there but with only a pciex1 link it would run at 1/4 speed and not any faster then a Sata SSD. And that's assuming you have Pcie2 in that old laptop.

Additionally, you wouldn't be able to boot from it. NVME drives need bios support to boot up.

Get a Sata SSD. Whats your budget and we can recommend something?

popatim

Titan
You likely could install an M2 drive there but with only a pciex1 link it would run at 1/4 speed and not any faster then a Sata SSD. And that's assuming you have Pcie2 in that old laptop.

Additionally, you wouldn't be able to boot from it. NVME drives need bios support to boot up.

Tetsuo1981

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016

Around the £20 to £25 Mark really. Just want it a little nipper and a cheap no-name ssd did wonders for my old dell inspiron desktop. Only got me thinking after looking at a lenovo x230 on YouTube that made me look at msata really, as the boy has no need for mobile Internet. Got a 40 or 60gb ssd lying around somewhere but wanted to give him more storage.
Will probably go ssd route, seen a 256gb ssd on amazon for about 23 quid so will probably go with that and just clone his 250gb HDD to it saving some headaches. RAM is already maxed out at 4gb, seen a video on cpu upgrading so might look into thst into the future. Just wanted it up and running smoothly for Xmas morning

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS