[SOLVED] Dell Latitude E5530 CPU from i3-2328m to i7-2640m to i7-3632qm???

Nov 12, 2020
My Dell Latitude E5530 came with an i3-2328m. I just upgraded to the i7-2640m. Both are at 35 TDP and are Sandy Bridge, so no problems. 16GB of RAM. Both cpu's are in the list:
https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i3_Mobile/i3-2328M.html

This guy upgraded his E5530 cpu (whatever it was) to an i7-3632qm, which is at 35 TDP and is an Ivy Bridge with supposedly no problems, though he has not answered any further questions from his post.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1onKwNovKA

Here are his cpu specs:
https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i7_Mobile/i7-3632QM_(PGA).html

1. Can I assume it's ok to go from Sandy to Ivy Bridge as long as the TDP is the same for a G2 Socket?
  2. Is it possible for me to upgrade to a faster cpu, either Sandy or Ivy Bridge, with a 45 TDP from either list? Some say no problem while others caution the increase could fry the mobo.
  3. If not ok to bump up to 45 TDP, then what is the fastest cpu I can upgrade to in possible better than Sandy or Ivy Bridge?
  4. Does the E5530 have a high CFM aftermarket fan that I can also upgrade to cool faster either the i7-2640m or the i7-3632qm if these are my only options. I know the standard answer is, "One is a dual core and one is a quad core, duh!" But I am not a gamer and looking for a fast office laptop that allows me to have several financial programs and several browser windows going at the same time.

Solution
Someone in this thread got a 3612qm to work so I think the 3632qm should work fine since it is essentially the same processor with a higher multiplier:

Specific answers:
  1. Not necessarily since the Dell bios will need to support it. However, since the 3612qm is supported, I think others would be as well.
  2. I would not try a 45w tdp processor as laptops are much more sensitive to cooling requirements since they are so compact. Unless the e5530 service manual shows a 45w tdp processor stock with the current cooling solution.
  3. I believe it is the 3632qm
  4. No, but you can probably set all the factory cooling options to 100% on all the time for some...
Someone in this thread got a 3612qm to work so I think the 3632qm should work fine since it is essentially the same processor with a higher multiplier:

Specific answers:
  1. Not necessarily since the Dell bios will need to support it. However, since the 3612qm is supported, I think others would be as well.
  2. I would not try a 45w tdp processor as laptops are much more sensitive to cooling requirements since they are so compact. Unless the e5530 service manual shows a 45w tdp processor stock with the current cooling solution.
  3. I believe it is the 3632qm
  4. No, but you can probably set all the factory cooling options to 100% on all the time for some improvement. You can also get a 'cooling pad' that is essentially some fans that push air into the factory coolers.

Reactions: Elegant1689
Solution

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
Iif you look up the specs for your laptop model the chipset and the supported CPUs, it says it can support a number of Ivy Bridge chips. But as pointed up above, the BIOs has to support it as well.

Will anything get fried if you go slightly above the current TDP? I would not recommend it, cooling (or lack of) is a bigger issue for mobile systems than desktops.

I would take a look at the performance of whatever chip you want to use and see if the cost/headache/potential fire hazard would be worth the cost(s). I don't think you would actually see much performance difference between the i7s. Depending on what applications you are running, the higher clock speed of the i7-2640m may be better for you vs more cores.

Reactions: Elegant1689
Nov 12, 2020
Not necessarily since the Dell bios will need to support it. However, since the 3612qm is supported, I think others would be as well.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, SamirD! Where do I go to find out exactly what cpu's are supported for the E5530?

Nov 12, 2020
If you look up the specs for your laptop model the chipset and the supported CPUs, it says it can support a number of Ivy Bridge chips. But as pointed up above, the BIOs has to support it as well.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for those links, zze86! So, it looks like the fastest two are the i7-3540m at 3.0GHz and the i7-3632qm at 2.2GHz, both at 35 TDP. Since I just put in the i7-2640m at 2.8HGHz, upgrading again to the i7-3540GHz doesn't sound like it would be worth it.