Question Dell Latitude E6440 does not power on

olm

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Hello,
I have an old Dell E6440 which does not turn on from one day to the next. I checked the battery in another E6440 and it is OK. When I put the power supply cable into the jack, the blue LED immediately turns off, so there might be a short circuit somewhere. Then i removed the hard disk and installed it in the other E6440 but I received a "Invalid partition table" error. What might be the cause for the defects and could the laptop still be saved if I replace the motherboard? Thanks for any help.

Lutfij

Titan
It's possible that a short occurred and knocked out more than just the motherboard. Your best option is to first inspect the entire motherboard for any burnt or blow componentry. The next thing you can do is take a multimeter and probe the motherboard for shorts.

Given how the laptop is with an QM87 chipset and that the processor is soldered to the motherboard, the cost of repairing the laptop with a brand new laptop would be nearly as much as a used concurrent generation laptop for 2023. I'd vote to leave it as is.

josh68

Honorable
Feb 17, 2018
Just FYI, the CPU is not soldered to the motherboard. One the last generation of laptops where it isn't, AFAIK. Mine's still running strong with an i7-4712MQ