[SOLVED] Dell Latitude E6440 Overheating

Jake Joris

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
hi, i have bought a second hand dell e6440 laptop. I did some tests and everything seemed fine. So i decided to test the cpu using aida64, and before starting the stress test temps were about 70-80'c. Just a minute after i ran it the cpu jumped to 95'c and it showed overheating detected 10-25%. So i have bought some arctic mx 4 thermal paste, and the temps went from 70-80'c idle to 50-60'c idle, 3 minutes after i ran the test the cpu went up to 95'c again and aida64 showen overheaeting detected 10-25%. The fans are clean, and i used IPA to clean the heatsink an the cpu. The fan is perfectly fine, it spins up to 4k rpm. The cpu is i7-4610m and it has amd radeon 8690m, but even when radeon gpu isn't enabled the cpu overheats. When i enable the amd gpu gpu stays at 50-70'c and the cpu temp doesn't change. And i saw that cpu is supposted to run at 37w, aida64 shows that it runs at 39-41w even after disabling the turbo boost in bios. What it the problem, i dont think that the heatsink is bad, cause the heatsink fins are around 40'c when running aida64?

Solution
It's normal for an Intel CPU package to exceed TDP, even with turbo boost disabled. 95C is not an irregular reading for a 37W CPU in a chassis that size.

AIDA64 and other stress tests are generally reserved for desktops (and high-end/desktop-class notebooks) with more robust thermal solutions. Most laptop processors are thermally limited, and all recent CPUs will throttle under high temperatures. The "overheating" AIDA64 reports is just throttling of CPU speeds in order to keep the system from shutting down. If the heat sink is clean and properly seated, and the fan is working, the CPU will always be able to keep temperatures under control in this way.

Your PC sounds just fine. The symptoms you describe would be worrying in an ATX...

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
It's normal for an Intel CPU package to exceed TDP, even with turbo boost disabled. 95C is not an irregular reading for a 37W CPU in a chassis that size.

AIDA64 and other stress tests are generally reserved for desktops (and high-end/desktop-class notebooks) with more robust thermal solutions. Most laptop processors are thermally limited, and all recent CPUs will throttle under high temperatures. The "overheating" AIDA64 reports is just throttling of CPU speeds in order to keep the system from shutting down. If the heat sink is clean and properly seated, and the fan is working, the CPU will always be able to keep temperatures under control in this way.

Your PC sounds just fine. The symptoms you describe would be worrying in an ATX desktop, but they're normal for a notebook (especially a (nearly) six-year-old notebook).

Solution

Jake Joris

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
Thanks for the reply, i have changed the thermal paste, but i found that heatsink at one end is 90'c and at the other 40'c, so i checked the e6540 and heatsink temps were 70'c at one end and 60'c at the other end during aida64 test. So i think that the e6440 has a bad heatsink. And BTW 95'c is very bad for Mobile cpus. And when cpu throtless the second amd gpu gets disabled, and i cannot game normaly.