Dell Launches Tiny, Little Inspiron Zino HD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Not bad, but I question the ability of a single core processor to handle HTPC content, the video card supports video decoding, but there are some codecs which still require CPU (software) decoding I could see the single chip failing here.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]The "new, beefier" mac mini is still locked into the 9400m (which is a lot slower than the HD4330) and it shares video ram, AND the mini has a max of 4gb installed ram. If you are looking for a unit for gaming, the Dell is the way to go. If you are into CPU intensive apps, the Mini wins with the faster C2D just don't burn your house down running folding @home.[/citation]

I really don't think that anyone is looking at either of these two product as gaming rigs of any sort. I just don't understand why Dell is locking this into Athlon Neo processors.

G

Haha Dell obviously wants to promote more AMD after this heat from Intel and Dell's name being dropped in on the mix as a participant. And yet there are Intel fanboys who probably don't and won't know how to cope with the fact that there is an absolute series of AMD products now...what will be the effect of such a change?...anybody see 2012? :p

xeensd

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]The "new, beefier" mac mini is still locked into the 9400m (which is a lot slower than the HD4330) and it shares video ram, AND the mini has a max of 4gb installed ram. If you are looking for a unit for gaming, the Dell is the way to go. If you are into CPU intensive apps, the Mini wins with the faster C2D just don't burn your house down running folding @home.[/citation]

There is an advantage to the 9400M: CUDA. If you are building a HTPC; cuda and this cpu would enable 1080p HD *.mkv playback. I would be highly interested if they had used the nvidia 8x00 chipset and AMD cpus... but alas they didn't. In all others ways I would call the ATI graphics chipset superior.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
If Dell builds in ATI stream processing via OpenCL to beef up HD video decoding and 6 channel audio decoding then, the ATI choice is a good one, and an all AMD/ATI solution is a good standpoint from platform development.

egowhip69

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]rooseveltdon[/nom]I am not too impressed and i don't like the fact that this is in essence dell's version of a mac mini it's bad enough that they copied apple a company i am no fan of,but then they throw questionable specs as wlell blah,i'd rather build my own[/citation]

Ummmm... there were small all in 1 units WAY before Apple came out with the Mini, or even the Cube...

While I respect Apple's refinement of those products, I'm not stupid enough to think they were the first ones to do it...

jeffk464

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Mac mini comes with a stronger processor and does 5.1 audio. Neither is the real solution for HTPC which is 8.1 audio over HDMI.

G

Before you criticize it too badly based solely on specs, at least read the reviews by somebody has started playing with one: http://blogs.amd.com/home/2009/11/12/the-dell-inspiron-zinohd/

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]itsmarik[/nom]i thought the point of an HTPC was to be able playback multimedia. can this thing -- the cheapest base config -- actually do that? seems a little weak under the hood.[/citation]

Yes, with that integrated video card, yes it can. Playing videos, even at HD quality isn't really that demanding for modern day hardware, even mid/bottom range hardware.

dupaman

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
[citation][nom]jeffk464[/nom]Mac mini comes with a stronger processor and does 5.1 audio. Neither is the real solution for HTPC which is 8.1 audio over HDMI.[/citation]
The optional 4330 will do 8ch LPCM over HDMI FWIW.

drealar

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I saw the upgrade version to 1.8GHz dual core X2 6850e. Since I'm not very familiar wit it, does anyone else know how does the CPU performs against; say an intel CULV 1.8GHz (Core 2 Duo SP7700 maybe)?

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Why is Dell selling Vista by default with options to "upgrade" to Win 7. Is Microsoft actually supporting this, or is Dell just trying to milk more money out of mindless consumers by offering an "upgrade" to a more recent OS that should cost them the same? I guess Dell just has a few million unused Vista licenses still lying around they need to dump off on unwitting customers.Still for $229, this is the most fully-featured "nettop" I've seen yet, only its a real computer.[/citation]

When they say that about Vista they mean Vista Home Basic. Look on the Dell site.
Basically for the base config they could have used either Vista Home Basic or 7 Starter and if I had to choose I would choose Vista Home Basic.

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
[citation][nom]jeffk464[/nom]Mac mini comes with a stronger processor and does 5.1 audio. Neither is the real solution for HTPC which is 8.1 audio over HDMI.[/citation]
8.1 audio is overkill for an HTPC IMO. Along with cluttering up your living room with more speakers, the audio enhancement over 5.1 is small. I'm not saying it's zero but "Home Theater" is a flexible enough term. Many people would be fine with 720P for example or even upscaled DVDs as their source for their "Home Theater".

jeffk464

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I just think that if they are going to build a HTPC they should make it fully capable. That means 5.1 and 8.1 audio over HDMI and able to handle full 1080p.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
good idea. its cute. $649 does creep up and over the 6 1/2" aluminum Mini's starting price of $599. but if Dell includes a monitor for their price then ... hmm.

but the $230 version i'd defn give a gander ... and maybe try and blow a think different OS onto that disk ... Kalway works on AMD, no?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]The 780G chipset is actually pretty capable at media without needing a beefier discrete card. The problem with the base configuration is the single-core Athlon. I wouldn't put less than a dual-core into a machine these days, especially not something for entertainment. If they had managed to get a 4850e in here, it would have been much more powerful. Best they offer in this line is a dual-core Athlon Neo at 1.8GHz. The TDP of the Neo is rated at 15W, though, so it obviously runs a lot cooler than the desktop processor.[/citation]

Jesus Christ, you want to put modern full blown graphic card into a "media center" oriented box? Does that make sense?
Guess what, the minimal hardware can handle 1080p pretty well, thanks to intergrated 3200 HD. Now what would the second core and more powerfull card do there (besides increasing costs). GENERATE EXTRA HEAT? Oh, makes sense...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
It is almost tiresome to hear people comparing this to a Mac Mini, so Apple has a monopoly on a device with a footprint the same as the optical drive? Narrow-minded bullshit.

If this is to be compared to a macmini, then every Apple Mac Pro is a rip off of a Lian-Li cased PC. What, form factor and aluminium case is the only comparison, right?

This is a SFF HTPC and it looks good for what it needs to do, price still needs working on and I probably could make a nicer one myself with the relevant parts, but its a good try anyway.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I have to admit these look kinda neat. It would be great computer for a college student in a dorm as to save space. Sure they aren't really upgradable but then again I haven't really seen a OEM rig that really is.

Only complaint is the video should either be a DVI or HDMI for the "HD" monitor.

EChiasson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I think Toms Hardware should do a review of this HTPC along with say a PS3 and needed peripherals with to showcase the added benifits / pro's / Cons of going with this over a PS3 or other HTPC setups. I'm sitting here wondering... Do I spend 300 on a PS3, Purchase a solid home theater system or surround sound or do I purchase this small computer and go that route>

EChiasson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I think Toms Hardware should do a review of this HTPC along with say a PS3 and needed peripherals with to showcase the added benifits / pro's / Cons of going with this over a PS3 or other HTPC setups. I'm sitting here wondering... Do I spend 300 on a PS3, Purchase a solid home theater system or surround sound or do I purchase this small computer and go that route>

G

I'm looking at one of these now that was listed on slickdeals.net, at $199 plus a $60 gift card to boot, the offer is awfully tempting. I think I'm gonna have to splurge and check it out. If all goes well I'll give away my beloved WD HD TV unit in favor of this.

ST33

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
[citation][nom]dupaman[/nom]The optional 4330 will do 8ch LPCM over HDMI FWIW.[/citation]

Is this true?? If so, that makes it a blu-ray playing HTPC with 8 channel audio, HDMI, and gigabit ethernet for about $400.

netwere

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
What a bunch of maroons, commenting about it looking like a Mac-Mini; that coffee cup looks like that other coffee cup. Try to play blue-ray on a Mac-Mini in OSX and get back to me. I have a mini, and I will have a Zino soon, guess why I had to buy the Zino; the Mini won't hold a candle to the ZINO as a HTPC. Don't understand why Dell didn't make this a full blown media center pc by tossing in a couple of USB tuners at cost, and then publish it going through its paces.

G

I will never choose Dell again. The computer INSPIRON ZIONO HD has experienced a hardware fault after less than a year of its purchase (initializing problem)! I contacted Dell and and they talked to me more than twice, but an Indian woman (on the phone from Indian, I live in London) was unable to even identify where the problem is and the knew about the fault before the expiry of the warranty, but now they are asking me to pay.

Regards
Nad

Status
Not open for further replies.