Dell Launches Tiny, Little Inspiron Zino HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I am not too impressed and i don't like the fact that this is in essence dell's version of a mac mini it's bad enough that they copied apple a company i am no fan of,but then they throw questionable specs as wlell blah,i'd rather build my own

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
If the HDMI supports audio this thing has 7.1 channels of HD audio.

Faster CPU and gfx than an Atom, HDMI port (non on mac mini) and the same price to boot. This is the perfect HTPC.

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]rooseveltdon[/nom]I am not too impressed and i don't like the fact that this is in essence dell's version of a mac mini it's bad enough that they copied apple a company i am no fan of,but then they throw questionable specs as wlell blah,i'd rather build my own[/citation]

well, good for u then... i guess everything's made to catch up to apple... btw, if this is apple, it would have cost at least double that price...

G

i thought the point of an HTPC was to be able playback multimedia. can this thing -- the cheapest base config -- actually do that? seems a little weak under the hood.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]itsmarik[/nom]i thought the point of an HTPC was to be able playback multimedia. can this thing -- the cheapest base config -- actually do that? seems a little weak under the hood.[/citation]
The 780G chipset is actually pretty capable at media without needing a beefier discrete card.
The problem with the base configuration is the single-core Athlon. I wouldn't put less than a dual-core into a machine these days, especially not something for entertainment. If they had managed to get a 4850e in here, it would have been much more powerful. Best they offer in this line is a dual-core Athlon Neo at 1.8GHz. The TDP of the Neo is rated at 15W, though, so it obviously runs a lot cooler than the desktop processor.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Why is Dell selling Vista by default with options to "upgrade" to Win 7. Is Microsoft actually supporting this, or is Dell just trying to milk more money out of mindless consumers by offering an "upgrade" to a more recent OS that should cost them the same? I guess Dell just has a few million unused Vista licenses still lying around they need to dump off on unwitting customers.

Still for $229, this is the most fully-featured "nettop" I've seen yet, only its a real computer.

dupaman

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
WTH is 2.1 HD Audio? I only see a single (ie: 2.0) stereo minijack output. Does this thing have a small built-in sub and 2 small mid-high-range speakers? I thought not.

You really can't beat the value of the low-end systems, though! It would be a good HTPC client if it's quiet and as long as you don't need to bitstream the 8ch codecs. They should offer Intel/Indilinx-based SSDs as options.

SamuelL421

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Not the worst idea I've seen, but lets be honest, its a mac mini. For that matter it isn't even an impressive mac mini until the $600+ price point.

to quote deadlocked,
haha.. it took them 4 years to copy the crappy Mac mini? Sad.

I think most who would opt for a HTPC will probably build something equivalent for less or something more powerful. The consumers looking for a small underpowered rig will go for probably get a discount net top or burn their dollars on a mac mini.

I just can't see dell selling many of these.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Wow. Talk about a blatant rip off of the Mac Mini. It literally looks as if the Dell design team walked into an Apple store, bought a Mac Mini, gave it a paint job, took out the good hardware, and re-sold it a lower price point. Are you kidding me?

Jeez. At least the Mac Mini comes with a Core 2, 9400m, and a slot loading drive. I suppose I can't complain at $659 with a 20" LCD but at least give the options to upgrade it beyond that crap of a CPU. If you price this thing from the ground up without the thrown in LCD the Mac Mini is actually a better deal given the hardware. Of course when you throw in a 20" LCD it changes the deal but the hardware cap sucks.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
You can "save" $63 by picking the first step-up config and getting shunted into Win 7 Home Premium and 15 months of Mcafee, so you end up a bit ahead if you like subscription based security.

The features are pretty darn nice, this is definitely a step up from the pretty dated Mac Mini platform which has a woefully limited CPU and GPU configuration. It will be very hard to resist picking one of these up if Dell drops some coupon codes during the holidays. This is just what the casual HTPC user needs, a widely capable system with a really small form factor.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Wow. Talk about a blatant rip off of the Mac Mini. It literally looks as if the Dell design team walked into an Apple store, bought a Mac Mini, gave it a paint job, took out the good hardware, and re-sold it a lower price point. Are you kidding me?Jeez. At least the Mac Mini comes with a Core 2, 9400m, and a slot loading drive. I suppose I can't complain at $659 with a 20" LCD but at least give the options to upgrade it beyond that crap of a CPU. If you price this thing from the ground up without the thrown in LCD the Mac Mini is actually a better deal given the hardware. Of course when you throw in a 20" LCD it changes the deal but the hardware cap sucks.[/citation]

The "new, beefier" mac mini is still locked into the 9400m (which is a lot slower than the HD4330) and it shares video ram, AND the mini has a max of 4gb installed ram. If you are looking for a unit for gaming, the Dell is the way to go. If you are into CPU intensive apps, the Mini wins with the faster C2D just don't burn your house down running folding @home.

Status
Not open for further replies.