Dell Leaks New XPS 13 2-in-1, 8th Gen Y-Series CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Remember when we regularly saw these increases every year? How long did it take the Pentium III to go from 400MHz to 1GHz?

Maybe that's not fair though. CPUs increased their power consumption all willy nilly back in the day. Engineers have to be really careful not throw power consumption out of whack with changes today.

You also forget that the CPU now is more complex and includes more parts on it than the Pentium III ever had. Just the integrated memory controller alone adds to heat in ways the Pentium III couldn't imagine.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Peak clock rate increases are great on paper... but I wouldn't get too hung up on it. Actual sustained performance may not reflect such a large difference.

A 5 watt cpu with 4 megabytes of L3 cache ... I wonder how many cores are in that i7 ... /cry (Not that the number of threads/cores matters, but they seriously call this 4 thread magikarp an i7) I'm hoping the site is wrong.

I'm picturing you pushing one thread of your most likely 4 threads to 50% and your 4.2 gigahertz drops to like 2 gigahertz

What is the point of releasing different models of such low wattage chips?

I can't imagine the performance being much difference due to the heavy throttling they would be doing on mostly any load.

Pulled the 5 watt info from

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-8500y

The CPU isn't even listed on ark.intel.com so I would take that Wiki link with a grain of salt untile Intel updates their end.

Status
Not open for further replies.