Dell Mini 9 Hackintosh; $200 Today Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Is there something about this machine in particular that makes it legal? Just curious, don't worry I won't tell Steve Jobs on you guys. But, as my memory serves, the EULA you are presented with is impassable since you agree to only use your copy of Leopard on a piece of hardware you purchased from Apple. Are you advocating violation of the shrinkwrap license?

And why would I wish to pay $200 for a 9 inch laptop with no CD/DVD drive, 512MB of RAM, and a 4GB hard disk?!?

Once you install your OS, you've barely got any room left for much else. It was a tempting prospect before I realized it needed an immediate RAM upgrade, and hard drive size upgrade (which I'm sure they charge a bundle for). Not to mention, I don't see much use in a laptop without CD/DVD support. Becomes much less convenient in my mind.

G

Unfortunately it's probably just before the release of their improved netbooks. so I won't buy one..

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
@joebob:

The thing is, its illegal for manufacturers (thats the key word) to pre-install OSX on a computer unless the manufacturer is Mac. The EULA doesn't prevent YOU, the consumer from doing it. If you want to build a PC yourself and put Mac OSX on it, more power to you (just realize hardware support means you have to use Intel chips, and be selective with motherboard and video card buying).

I've installed OSX lots of different PC's, I just can't do that if I happen to make and sell PC's for a living.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Is there something about this machine in particular that makes it legal? Just curious, don't worry I won't tell Steve Jobs on you guys. But, as my memory serves, the EULA you are presented with is impassable since you agree to only use your copy of Leopard on a piece of hardware you purchased from Apple. Are you advocating violation of the shrinkwrap license?[/citation]

If I own an OS X license I will install it on whatever computer I want to. I could honestly care less if it violates the Apple EULA. They can't enforce how their product is used after I swipe my credit card. If I was buying Dell Mini-9's, installing OS X, and re-selling them I might see a legal issue but installing a legal copy of OS X on a Mini-9? Couldn't imagine how that would be considered illegal.

Who am I kidding though... 99% of people who do this find a kalyway hacked copy of OS X on bit torrent. Doing something like THAT is illegal.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Just put an old Apple sticker on it so that it is Apple labeled to abide by the E.U.L.A.
Either that or saw the Apple Logo off an old junker thrift store Macintosh

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Why bother with OSX when you can use the fast, stable Windows XP which gives you access to all the great software you run on your main XP/Vista/Win7 machine? Or install a Linux distro specially tuned for netbooks and enjoy a 15-20 second boot time, excellent battery life and a launcher/application switcher designed for small, low-res screens.

gfolkert

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
jerreece said: And why would I wish to pay $200 for a 9 inch laptop with no CD/DVD drive, 512MB of RAM, and a 4GB hard disk?!?

I say, getting a 2GB piece of memory from NewEgg for this thing is $21.99. Get the 64GB SSD from Dell its WAY cheaper than the near equivalent from NewEgg (bring $180 plus shipping) Of course you could get some sub-par 64GB SSDs, but that isn't the right thing IMO.

Total cost today for me without the OSX Retail Disk $479.12 from Dell including shipping and IVA... (bleah some other time) $25.67 including shipping for the Memory. And buying an OSX 10.5.6 DVD from the Apple Store for $129, plus tax.

G

Because, all of us just really want to use a Mac but can't afford one... I mean, who wouldn't want a Mac? It's the best of both worlds, the limited software and hardware compatibility of Linux, combined with the "big brother" factor of Windows times 10, not to mention, it let's everybody know that you have plenty of money to waste. Of course, with the dell mini, you won't look as cool sitting at the coffee shop with it pretending that you know how to use a computer, since there's not glowing fruit on the back of the display...

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]And why would I wish to pay $200 for a 9 inch laptop with no CD/DVD drive, 512MB of RAM, and a 4GB hard disk?!?Once you install your OS, you've barely got any room left for much else. It was a tempting prospect before I realized it needed an immediate RAM upgrade, and hard drive size upgrade.[/citation]
Don't be ridiculous, the point is to get the $200 laptop, then buy the 2GB RAM and 320GB HD from newegg without dell's %200 markup.

peacock

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]OmgMacIsGreat[/nom]Because, all of us just really want to use a Mac but can't afford one... I mean, who wouldn't want a Mac? It's the best of both worlds, the limited software and hardware compatibility of Linux, combined with the "big brother" factor of Windows times 10, not to mention, it let's everybody know that you have plenty of money to waste. Of course, with the dell mini, you won't look as cool sitting at the coffee shop with it pretending that you know how to use a computer, since there's not glowing fruit on the back of the display...[/citation]

*yawn* dude, your type of comment is getting old. Do you have something new and insightful to offer or not? There are those who like to mod their hardware and try out different things--in this case, possibly a different OS. This article was about a Dell Mini 9, not a Mac, anyway. You're the type who just dishes out crap loads of negative about Macs without ever having used one, just becuase you believe all the crap you've heard from the same people. Same like ignorant Mac users who believe crap they hear about Windows users. But sides of the fence have retards and you're one on the Windows side.

shdwghst457

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
how about removing the round dell icon, clearing out the part under the panel that blocks the light, filling the hole with plastic and putting an apple over it? instant glowing apple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS