dell mobo pin outs

Mugen

hi..

have an optiplex GX50 which wont boot up.
looks like the on button, which connects to a small daughter board, is not
working.

tested PSU and this is fine, it's lighting up power led on motherboard, but
pushing start button has no effect.

the front panel daughter board connects to a connector on the motherboard
via a ribbon cable, is there anywhere i can get the pin outs to this
connector.

have looked on dell site with no success.

thanks

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

R U sure the PSU is working? just because you have flea power to the board
does not mean its working properly
"mugen" <b@brainless.net> wrote in message
> hi..
>
> have an optiplex GX50 which wont boot up.
> looks like the on button, which connects to a small daughter board, is not
> working.
>
> tested PSU and this is fine, it's lighting up power led on motherboard,
> but pushing start button has no effect.
>
> the front panel daughter board connects to a connector on the motherboard
> via a ribbon cable, is there anywhere i can get the pin outs to this
> connector.
>
> have looked on dell site with no success.
>
> thanks

Mugen

tried a known working psu and still no go

"Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>R U sure the PSU is working? just because you have flea power to the board
>does not mean its working properly
> "mugen" <b@brainless.net> wrote in message
>> hi..
>>
>> have an optiplex GX50 which wont boot up.
>> looks like the on button, which connects to a small daughter board, is
>> not working.
>>
>> tested PSU and this is fine, it's lighting up power led on motherboard,
>> but pushing start button has no effect.
>>
>> the front panel daughter board connects to a connector on the motherboard
>> via a ribbon cable, is there anywhere i can get the pin outs to this
>> connector.
>>
>> have looked on dell site with no success.
>>
>> thanks

You could try shorting the brown pin to one
of the black pins in the power supply
connector. Brown is the PS on lead. Most
optiplex's have a non standard PS connectors
so I can't give you a number, but Dell did
use standard wire colors. If that turns things on
then the problem is either the switch or the mobo
circuitry that holds that line low for power on.

The LED is probably only on the 5VSB line.

> tried a known working psu and still no go
>

> "Fixer" <steve.h1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>R U sure the PSU is working? just because you have flea power to the
>>board does not mean its working properly
>> "mugen" <b@brainless.net> wrote in message
>>> hi..
>>>
>>> have an optiplex GX50 which wont boot up.
>>> looks like the on button, which connects to a small daughter board,
>>> is not working.
>>>
>>> tested PSU and this is fine, it's lighting up power led on
>>> motherboard, but pushing start button has no effect.
>>>
>>> the front panel daughter board connects to a connector on the
>>> motherboard via a ribbon cable, is there anywhere i can get the pin
>>> outs to this connector.
>>>
>>> have looked on dell site with no success.
>>>
>>> thanks

Dan

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:19:24 +0100, "mugen" <b@brainless.net> wrote:

>have an optiplex GX50 which wont boot up.
>looks like the on button, which connects to a small daughter board, is not
>working.
>
>tested PSU and this is fine, it's lighting up power led on motherboard, but
>pushing start button has no effect.
>
>the front panel daughter board connects to a connector on the motherboard
>via a ribbon cable, is there anywhere i can get the pin outs to this
>connector.
>
>have looked on dell site with no success.

LED light on the motherboard is useless. I've replaced motherboards
that had green LEDs that were not functioning properly with the exact
same symptoms (no turn-on). Might be the PS too...possible voltage
surge/lightning or a defective component (probably a capacitor).

Wish I could help you with those proprietary pin-outs. Those cables
are a major pain to get off the motherboards, at least with Dimension
systems. I've broken two so far, they are simply jammed in there.

Dan