Dell mod..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Alright guys, here are the pictures!!

-Front of pc

Front

-back

-hackjob

-psu

-bump things

Enjoy!!

Any questions? please ask.

I am curious if I should remove the green shroud to allow the airflow from the psu bottom fan to go to the exhaust fan under the shroud....Would it also hinder the cpu's airflow as well if the shroud was removed??

Thanks

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
your psu is fine dell list their psu at min's and not peak like other manufac's.

You have a 350 and a gto will work wonders. lol Hell i run a 1950pro agp in my "250" (aka 350 peak).

Dont listen to these monkey kiddies with there mommy and daddies credit card computers. I know its hard to upgrade, grap the gto, youll be fine. 100%.

Thanks for your input, but I've already bought and installed the psu... I do not, however, trust the Dell psu as it is getting old and has alot of use out of it. From what i've heard, Dell psu's are crap. Oh, well. Another $45.00 for the dell, whoopee.. Next: new, faster hard drive.. Then, that's it for the dell internally. Maybe a new monitor eventually (upgrading from teh old Gateway 2000 crt monitor. God, I can't believe I use to game on that..)

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
I am curious if I should remove the green shroud to allow the airflow from the psu bottom fan to go to the exhaust fan under the shroud....Would it also hinder the cpu's airflow as well if the shroud was removed??
You could try this, but I think that's how the CPU gets it cooling.
The PSU needs cool air also, to run efficiently.
Good hack job though, pretty neat.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
You are correct in saying that the green shroud thing does fit over the cpu and exhales the hot air from it. If you look in one of the pictures closely you will notice that there is at least an inch of space between the shroud and bottom of psu. That fan is an exhaust fan on the psu, one of two. So it actually should be fine. However, if I did remove the shroud, the cpu may get hotter..

Thanks for the comment on the hackjob. Are you really saying that my dremeling is good???

It would be interesting to add intakes on the front of the whole computer as there is only little slits to allow airflow. I'm sure that the system does get quite warm. I have only noticed that when I use to play games on it and if I opened the case up, the heatsink was very very hot and cooled down with airflow. But I don't game on it much anymore, mostly used for email and surfin the i-net by my parents.
It is a fun thought,......

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks for the comment on the hackjob. Are you really saying that my dremeling is good???
Seen better, seen worse, you have no jagged edges to rip your fingers on. :wink:
That's always a good thing.

What type of fan is on the CPU H'sink, if any at all.
If you take the green shroud off, can you put 2 fans on the back of the case?

Just put your hand at the back of the case and feel how warm the air is that's coming out of the case fan and the PSU.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
before you swap that psu you better check the voltages on EVERY wire. it is old news that dell uses the same atx plug but a different pin layout for there power supplys.

Shut up or read the WHOLE thread before spewing stuff. His power supply is standard ATX, and the only "compatibility" issue occurs with certain Dell cases that have a boxed-in power cable connector.

Dell had three "ATX-ish" wiring methods: The early AT with ATX style power connector (mid 1990's), the later ATX with wiring out-of-order (late 1990's), and the ATX12V standard versions (P4 and newer).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hello rabid,

Sorry for not getting to you sooner. It's a funny storry with the novices:

1.) It took me three or four years to convince these guys that Dell's Pentium 3 power supplies were wired differently. By the time I actually succeeded at that....
2.) Dell's Pentium 4 power supplies (standard wiring) were out, and I've been trying to convince this same group of people that its ATX12V wiring is standard for around 4 years.

So the Neophites are slow, big deal, but I did know about the power plug not fitting some cases...

Here's one with the power plug in the correct location but you still have the tab thing to consider.

I've replaced Dell power supplies before, the holding tabs have never been a serious issue for me. And I'm not about to pay a bunch of extra money to get my power plug in the right place.

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006

No, don't remove the green shroud. It's a requiered part of a "Thermally Advantaged Chassis" - the Intel OEM specification for cases apt for their hot P4 CPU's. Otherwise the CPU won't get enough cooling or the system will get much louder.

Otherwise nice job - though annoying that Dell can't seem to stick
completely to standards.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Seen better, seen worse, you have no jagged edges to rip your fingers on.
That's always a good thing.

I'm glad to hear that. I am lucky to know how to use sandpaper and file metal and wood. ;)

Well the heatsink is just a heatsink, no fan on top of the cpu. That is where the green shroud covers the area over the cpu and the fan belches out the air from the cpu directly. this however does not allow much airflow for the components. I don't think that I can attach fans on the back of the case unless i REALLY jury rigged everything together with washers and bolts. I don't think so. Besides, It has managed to last this long and won't really be used for games anymore just simple stuff.

As far as heat goes, the system use to get REALLY warm when playing games but since I've added a better psu I don't think it will get really warm again. Right now it doesn't give off a ton of heat so I think everything should be fine.

I've replaced Dell power supplies before, the holding tabs have never been a serious issue for me. And I'm not about to pay a bunch of extra money to get my power plug in the right place.

Sounds great to me. I have no problems with trying something new and challenging. Especially when the outcome involves making a mistake and I have to build a new pc from scratch !! ;)