Question Dell monitor drivers on HP computer?

Aug 29, 2024
Hi all, new posting to TH but a very impressed reader of the site for a long long time.

First of all, Computer: HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF Desktop i5-6500, running the latest build of Windows 10 Pro. Monitor: Dell 19'' widescreen E1914Hf.

I got this old used Dell monitor, connected it and got an alert saying it wasn't compatible with my PC's resolution, and to set the res to 1366x768 and 60 Hz. I plugged my old monitor back into the machine, changed it to that res, got the same message again on the Dell monitor. I tried several other lower res settings (using the old monitor) and kept getting the same message. I checked the refresh rate and it's on 59 Hz.

A DuckDuckGo search showed that I may need drivers for the monitor. My question is, if I install Dell drivers to an HP computer, will it mess up said computer's graphics hardware, or anything else? Or do you know of another workaround for getting the Dell monitor to recognize that I did indeed change the res to 1366x768 just as it said to do? I did reboot a few times after changing the res and that didn't solve the problem.

Thank you so much --

SingBlueSilver

Solution
My question is, if I install Dell drivers to an HP computer, will it mess up said computer's graphics hardware, or anything else?
No.

Depending which model prebuilt you have,
specs: https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c04920435
the GPU is either Intel HD Graphics 530 (living inside the CPU) or Nvidia GT 730. Both, the Intel and Nvidia GPUs are widely used in all prebuilts + custom made rigs. So, there is no "HP hardware" to mess with and Dell Display Manager software should work without issues.

I got this old used Dell monitor, connected it and got an alert saying it wasn't compatible with my PC's resolution, and to set the res to 1366x768 and 60 Hz.
Do note that 1366x768 at 60 Hz is max what that Dell monitor...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My question is, if I install Dell drivers to an HP computer, will it mess up said computer's graphics hardware, or anything else?
No.

Depending which model prebuilt you have,
specs: https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c04920435
the GPU is either Intel HD Graphics 530 (living inside the CPU) or Nvidia GT 730. Both, the Intel and Nvidia GPUs are widely used in all prebuilts + custom made rigs. So, there is no "HP hardware" to mess with and Dell Display Manager software should work without issues.

I got this old used Dell monitor, connected it and got an alert saying it wasn't compatible with my PC's resolution, and to set the res to 1366x768 and 60 Hz.
Do note that 1366x768 at 60 Hz is max what that Dell monitor can do. And when to be precise, the max vertical frequency with 1366x768 reso is actually 59.8 Hz. So, you seeing 59 Hz is actually normal for that monitor.

From here you can download your Dell monitor manual,
direct link: https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-pro...rt_display/dell-e1914h_user's guide_en-us.pdf

Plenty of useful information written in there.

Reactions: SingBlueSilver
Solution