Question Dell N2024 Network Switch GUI

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Hello,

We have a Dell N2024 Network Switch at our business and I was wondering if there was another way to access it's GUI, rather than though the IP on a web browser.
If I were to get ahold of a Serial Port to VGA adapter, would this allow me to access the GUI, or is the serial port reserved for accessing the command line via Putty, etc.
Fairly new to networking hardware, the manual didn't help with this particular inquiry.

Thank you.

I don't know of any serial to vga adapter. Serial ports are extremely slow compared to most things. The default is 9.8kbps and I think it goes to about 111kbps maximum. Note this is not megabits it is kilobits.
There just is not enough bandwidth to run a monitor....besides the switch would have to support it.

Most times the console interface is very simple and only uses command lines. Some have a very primitive menu system.

This is a commercial switch it requires quit a bit a knowledge in the knowing what you want to setup. The configuration itself tends to not be complex so it can easily be done via command line. Sometimes it is easier than clicking though menus when you can cut and paste your changes.

These type of switches tend to be massively complex because they support so many different features....most of which you will likely never use.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I don't know of any serial to vga adapter. Serial ports are extremely slow compared to most things. The default is 9.8kbps and I think it goes to about 111kbps maximum. Note this is not megabits it is kilobits.
There just is not enough bandwidth to run a monitor....besides the switch would have to support it.

Most times the console interface is very simple and only uses command lines. Some have a very primitive menu system.

This is a commercial switch it requires quit a bit a knowledge in the knowing what you want to setup. The configuration itself tends to not be complex so it can easily be done via command line. Sometimes it is easier than clicking though menus when you can cut and paste your changes.

These type of switches tend to be massively complex because they support so many different features....most of which you will likely never use.

Well the adapters exist, we have one male to female serial port cable. And we were thinking of getting a male vga to male vga, in order to hook it to a laptop to use as a display, which my boss thinks is possible. If not, no big deal.

Last edited:
If you really want to do it yourself you could build something with a very cheap raspberry pi board. The switch has a extra ethernet port so it can be managed from another separate network. It is still a standard web gui interface it is just a different port.

With a raspberry pi you could build your own say touch screen interface that then translates that to the HTTP strings the switch wants. I guess you could do that with the console/serial port also

Latest posts