Dell Netbook Roadmap Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Everything seems to be "leaked". And yes, I think an 11" netbook is perfect size. 9" is much too small and 14.4" is starting to get too bulky for portability. I just need to find a great 11" netbook and I'll be happy.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]lutel[/nom]11'' would be ok but with 4:3 ratio, not 16:10 which is pure stupid in all kind of netbooks[/citation]

Fixed (it might have just been a slight mistake).

I think 11" 16:10 is fine to use, but 9" 16:10 is pushing it. My Dell Inspiron 1501 with a 15.4" 16:10 display is magnificent, I would hate to have a 4:3 display at 15.4 inches.

As for netbook display size, I agree 11" is perfect. I would have a hard time using a 9" display all of the time.

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Why spend 500.00 on a fancy netbook when you could spend 500.00 on a notebook with a REAL processor. Add the same option set as a decked out netbook, and you have a very capable 700.00 notebook...

rembo666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
@lutel
Yeah, except you'll never see the 4:3 form factor in "consumer" notebooks. "Wide screen" is all the rage dude! I do agree that it would make a lot more sense to have a 4:3 netbook as it would be a lot more practical.

N19h7M4r3

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
whats a netbook? nothing more then a computer with just enough processing power to essentially work with office applications, and as the name suggests net browsing... everything that has this, but cant do much over this is a net book... if you have a 17" inch netbook selling for 700$ with an HD decoder chip, though it gets into the mediaplayer segment of your regular notebooks, if you cant do anything over what i said previously except watch HD movies, id still call it a netbook... if apple releases a netbook for 900$ with your regular specs, cant say a netbook has to be cheap just because "or else its in cheap notebook zone"...

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]piper5177[/nom]I better go out and buy and Powerbook G4 12"....that would make a great netbook. =P[/citation]
haha relentless... ill give it a thumbs up

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
12 inches with at least 1280x800 resolution is ideal but with something better than gma 500. 11 inches is fine or even 10 is ok but 1024x600 sucks.

Jerald -Whats the best 12 inch new notebook under 3.5lbs you can get for 500 dollars?

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Add me to the people who want 4:3 displays. For the love of God I want a 1:1 display but since the display manufacturers bank on widescreen we'll continue to seeing the displays shrink vertically. It's good for FPS games and movies but using the computer for anything else... bleh.

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
[citation][nom]jeraldjunkmail[/nom]Why spend 500.00 on a fancy netbook when you could spend 500.00 on a notebook with a REAL processor. Add the same option set as a decked out netbook, and you have a very capable 700.00 notebook...[/citation]
Because maybe you don't want a notebook that's big and bulky but want something more portable. Besides the more variety, the better.

G

For me anything below 10" is a netbook, anything that is or is above 11" is laptop area!

A netbook originally started with a 8" screen. 9" like the EeePc 901 is the 'perfect toy' for me!
7" is probably the smallest toy advisable.
A netbook should not be greater then a paper notepad (6 by 8).

G

I also agree that for $500 there are better offers on the market than netbooks, but that's just because companies are trying to fill their pockets. A 9" netbook should be sold for 299 max. That's how they where created, formed and got popular!
In fact the first popular device,the OLPC, had a 8,9" screen, was aimed to cost $100, but ended up costing $200.

The screen as widescreen as possible could reduce the overall size just like the Sony Vaio P series, a screen that's the size of the keyboard.
With a 1x1 screen you'll end up with a square and a whole lot of unused space on top and below the keyboard.
The best netbook is actually the keyboard with a screen

PCfreak15

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
If the mini 11 is an nvidia ion based netbook i'm sold! I think 10" is the perfect size to be easily portable yet still practical for typing. My friend has the samsung NC10, which is a really nice little netbook, and compared to my XPS m1530 it looks tiny and is much easier to bring around to classes. He keeps his NC10 in his backpack with his books whereas I have to carry around an extra bag with my m1530 in it. I love having a 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo and a 256Mb 8600m GT with me but all I ever do at school is type and access the interwebz. Technically a mini 10 with the atom + intel chipset would be fine but i'd like a little more power in the same size netbook in case I ever wanted to do more with it.

nawat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
For me, it's all about battery life and portability (weight and size). I wouldn't really agree that netbook is trying to cross to low cost notebook territory but rather VAIO's TZ and TT series.

Netbooks are meant to be very portable so you can carry around all day and are for those who already have their main PCs at home. I've read that some of us here said that it would be better to buy a more capable low cost notebook rather than a netbook if the price is high enough. I wouldn't really agree if you already have a powerful PC at home. The point is if you buy a low cost notebook, it'll be heavy and you would end up using your main PC at home and not carry the notebook outside (that is you're actually not using it). But if you buy a portable netbook, it's more likely that you'll carry it around and use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.