Dell notebooks

1, Do all Dell notebooks have a hidden Dell partition on the C drive?
2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes sense
to have a bunch of logical drives.
--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

Howard Kaikow wrote:
> 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?

From what I've read on the Dell Forum, they currently come with OS on CD
and a recovery partition. Soon no CDs will be provided. Quoting Dell
employee and moderator "Samantha":

"With the media reduction, the following changes will be made:

"Hard-copy of the Owners Manual - replaced by an electronic version
installed on the HDD accessed from a desktop ICON. Owners Manuals will
also continue to be available online at support.dell.com(Choose Segment
> Product Support > User Guide > System > Appropriate Language > Owners
Manual) or can be shipped at the customer's request.

"OS Media Kit - OS re-installation functionality replaced by PC Restore
application

"Resource CD - driver reset functionality replaced by Driver Reset
application. Drivers will also continue to be available online at
support.dell.com

"Tools CD (US only) - trial versions of e-applications can be downloaded
directly from vendor websites at no charge."

However "ChrisM" adds:

"Even if Dell stops shipping the CD's, you may call in and request the
CD's and they will be sent to you free of charge."

gringo

1. no
2. OS on a CD
3. 1 partition. You'll have to rebuild PC yourself to make multiple partions
or use something like partion magic.

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> 1, Do all Dell notebooks have a hidden Dell partition on the C drive?
> 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
> 3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes
> sense
> to have a bunch of logical drives.
> --
> http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

I thought the answer to 1 was yes -- the 32MB diags partition.

Tom

"Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
> Howard Kaikow wrote:
> > 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
>
> From what I've read on the Dell Forum, they currently come with OS on CD
> and a recovery partition. Soon no CDs will be provided. Quoting Dell
> employee and moderator "Samantha":
>
> "With the media reduction, the following changes will be made:
>
> "Hard-copy of the Owners Manual - replaced by an electronic version
> installed on the HDD accessed from a desktop ICON. Owners Manuals will
> also continue to be available online at support.dell.com(Choose Segment
> > Product Support > User Guide > System > Appropriate Language > Owners
> Manual) or can be shipped at the customer's request.
>
> "OS Media Kit - OS re-installation functionality replaced by PC Restore
> application
>
> "Resource CD - driver reset functionality replaced by Driver Reset
> application. Drivers will also continue to be available online at
> support.dell.com
>
> "Tools CD (US only) - trial versions of e-applications can be downloaded
> directly from vendor websites at no charge."
>

> However "ChrisM" adds:
>
> "Even if Dell stops shipping the CD's, you may call in and request the
> CD's and they will be sent to you free of charge."

Given how inexpensive it is to produce a CD, don't understand why they just
do not include a CD with each notebook.

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 05:44:01 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>I thought the answer to 1 was yes -- the 32MB diags partition.

Yes - the parttion with diagnostic. Activated through F12 during POST.

Henning wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 05:44:01 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
>wrote:
>

>>I thought the answer to 1 was yes -- the 32MB diags partition.
>>

>Yes - the parttion with diagnostic. Activated through F12 during POST.

It can, of course, be removed.

"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> Henning wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 05:44:01 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> >wrote:
> >

> >>I thought the answer to 1 was yes -- the 32MB diags partition.
> >>

> >Yes - the parttion with diagnostic. Activated through F12 during POST.
> >

> It can, of course, be removed.

Not without voiding the warranty.

it used to be that the os came on a cd but these days the configuration tool
often lets you choose between os 'with media' or 'without media' (cd or no
cd). choose which you want.

> it used to be that the os came on a cd but these days the configuration
tool
> often lets you choose between os 'with media' or 'without media' (cd or no
> cd). choose which you want.

Good, but is that a true OS CD or a mere "recovery" CD?

Eugene

Howard Kaikow wrote:

> 1, Do all Dell notebooks have a hidden Dell partition on the C drive?
> 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?
> 3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes
> sense to have a bunch of logical drives.
1. Depends on the model, I've seen a hidden partition on the drive in some
of the Inspirons, its separate from the C drive.
2. Depends on the model, I've seen both
3. Mine came all as one, it doesn't make sense to partition a big drive with
a modern OS.

it is what i would call a true oem cd. it is not a retail edition, which
means no box or pretty three color printed label. it is an oem edition
which means it only can be activated with oem type serial numbers. it has a
modified startup file that when booted from cd and set up is run it looks to
the system bios to confirm that the system is a dell. if the system is a
dell it happily installs without requiring activation. if the system is not
a dell it install and requires you to enter a serial number and go through
the activation process. if you reinstall the os i suggest you copy the
i386 folder from the cd to the root director of the hard disk and edit the
registry to reflect the c:\i386 as the 'source' location in case the
original source code is required when updating anything in the future. you
may have to install drivers for specific components that you have and this
is done with one or more driver cds that are also supplied. since these are
separate you can alternatively download the latest drivers for any
particular component from support.dell.com and install that instead of what
will ultimately be an outdated driver found on the driver cd.

> it is what i would call a true oem cd. it is not a retail edition, which
> means no box or pretty three color printed label. it is an oem edition
> which means it only can be activated with oem type serial numbers. it has
> modified startup file that when booted from cd and set up is run it looks
> the system bios to confirm that the system is a dell. if the system is a
> dell it happily installs without requiring activation. if the system is
not
> a dell it install and requires you to enter a serial number and go through
> the activation process. if you reinstall the os i suggest you copy the
> i386 folder from the cd to the root director of the hard disk and edit the
> registry to reflect the c:\i386 as the 'source' location in case the
> original source code is required when updating anything in the future.
you
> may have to install drivers for specific components that you have and this
> is done with one or more driver cds that are also supplied. since these
are
> separate you can alternatively download the latest drivers for any
> particular component from support.dell.com and install that instead of
what
> will ultimately be an outdated driver found on the driver cd.

That's what I mean by a true OS CD.

this is not a dell specific issue. dell is simply conforming to the desires
of microsoft who is doing everything they can to reduce piracy.
unfortunately it means extra inconvenience to honest folk that are
unfortunate enough to encounter a problem and need to restore their systems.

> this is not a dell specific issue. dell is simply conforming to the
desires
> of microsoft who is doing everything they can to reduce piracy.
> unfortunately it means extra inconvenience to honest folk that are
> unfortunate enough to encounter a problem and need to restore their
systems.

I realize it's a MSFT caused problem, but it's easier to shoot the messenger
than a gorilla.

Howard Kaikow wrote:

>"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
>

>>Henning wrote:

>>>Yes - the parttion with diagnostic. Activated through F12 during POST.
>>>

>>It can, of course, be removed.
>>

>Not without voiding the warranty.

Software is not part of the warranty. If I wipe the system clean and
install Linux, it doesn't affect my warranty.

> "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
>> Henning wrote:

>> >Yes - the parttion with diagnostic. Activated through F12 during POST.
>> >

>> It can, of course, be removed.
>
> Not without voiding the warranty.

Not in the US. That would be illegal under Magnuson-Moss. It's also just
wrong. If Dell provides a replacement drive, it doesn't come with the
partition.

Tom

what is? there is no such thing manufactured by microsoft called a "true
cd." there is the full retail version, oem versions. the full retail
version costs at least double of the oem version but the oem version is only
available along with the purchase of hardware. the oem versions supplied by
dell is better than the full retail version with respect to software
activation. the full retail version is better than the oem version if you
like to own a big box with colorful pictures on it and a place for the cd to
rattle around. the oem version supplied by dell is not some sort of restore
disc that returns your pc to the original factory image with all its dated
drivers and software. that's the best i can do to explain the differences.
if this doesn't make sense then you should probably rephrase your question
to be more specific about exactly you want to know.

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> it is what i would call a true oem cd. it is not a retail edition, which
>> means no box or pretty three color printed label. it is an oem edition
>> which means it only can be activated with oem type serial numbers. it
>> has
>> modified startup file that when booted from cd and set up is run it looks
>> the system bios to confirm that the system is a dell. if the system is a
>> dell it happily installs without requiring activation. if the system is
> not
>> a dell it install and requires you to enter a serial number and go
>> through
>> the activation process. if you reinstall the os i suggest you copy the
>> i386 folder from the cd to the root director of the hard disk and edit
>> the
>> registry to reflect the c:\i386 as the 'source' location in case the
>> original source code is required when updating anything in the future.
> you
>> may have to install drivers for specific components that you have and
>> this
>> is done with one or more driver cds that are also supplied. since these
> are
>> separate you can alternatively download the latest drivers for any
>> particular component from support.dell.com and install that instead of
> what
>> will ultimately be an outdated driver found on the driver cd.
>
> That's what I mean by a true OS CD.

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> 1, Do all Dell notebooks have a hidden Dell partition on the C drive?

All the Inspirons now do; not all the Latitudes do, however.

> 2. Do Dell notebooks come with the OS on a CD or just a recovery CD?

There is talk that Dell has gone the way of HPaq and is no longer shipping
the media - just the restore partition.

> 3. How does Dell partition the hard drive? With large drives, it makes
sense

One single drive - there are partitions for diagnostics (32M) and now a
Symantec restore partition of 3-4G.

> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> > "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

> >> It can, of course, be removed.
> >
> > Not without voiding the warranty.
> >

> Not in the US. That would be illegal under Magnuson-Moss. It's also just
> wrong. If Dell provides a replacement drive, it doesn't come with the
> partition.

I meant to say, one risks loss of support.

> Howard Kaikow wrote:
>
> >"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

> >>It can, of course, be removed.
> >>

> >Not without voiding the warranty.
> >

> Software is not part of the warranty. If I wipe the system clean and
> install Linux, it doesn't affect my warranty.

I meant to refer to possible loss of support.

To me a full OS CD is a CD that has all the OS software and drivers that
would enable me to rebuild the system any way I choose, not just recover to
a fixed state.

"Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> 3. Mine came all as one, it doesn't make sense to partition a big drive
with
> a modern OS.

Yes it does, but a discussion of the merits is not the subject of my query.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> One single drive - there are partitions for diagnostics (32M) and now a
> Symantec restore partition of 3-4G.

I won't accept having a Symantec partition.
Can it be removed by uninstalling the symantec software?

Howard Kaikow wrote:

>"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
>

>>Howard Kaikow wrote:
>>

>>>"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message

>>>Not without voiding the warranty.
>>>

>>Software is not part of the warranty. If I wipe the system clean and
>>install Linux, it doesn't affect my warranty.
>>

>I meant to refer to possible loss of support.

True enouth. But since I can run the diagnostics from the CD, I don't
really need the partition even for support.