Dell Now Offering Ubuntu on Alienware X51 Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
"The operating system loads quickly and can handle multiple programs at the same time," said Dell's Mark Obee in a blog. "The Workspace Switcher is an example of multitasking done well. It gives you the option to split the screen into multiple work areas. It helps keep things in order and is easy to switch between (see image below). The OS also comes with a software center to download free open source apps, which is a great feature, as you will not be able to install your Windows-based software on the OS."

Wow, I have never seen the free, open-source features of a Linux-based distro marketed so well. I could imagine an ignorant buyer being "wow this sounds impressive, good job Dell!"

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
The Ubuntu version is actually a bit cheaper too. The way big box computer makers charge insane prices for RAM and SSD upgrades, this surprises me.

SvRommelvS

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Because when buying an overpriced, heavy and temperamental gaming laptop, you want to make sure you install Linux instead of the OS that runs games.

SvRommelvS

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Because when buying an overpriced, heavy and temperamental gaming laptop, you want to make sure you install Linux instead of the OS that runs games.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

I just checked Alienware's website and that they are offering Windows 7 for their gaming rigs. That means it is still an option.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Too bad they charge just as much for this as the Windows variant. Now if Dell is willing to give support for Ubuntu that might be worth it, but I somehow doubt their support will go beyond "ship it to our Depot and we will re image the hard drive for you."

g-unit1111

Titan
What would be better is if they started offering double boot Windows 7 / Ubuntu configurations so that way us gamers could still use our existing content and have a transition period for when Steam and other cloud-based services start using Ubuntu. As long as we don't have to put up with Windows 8 I'm for it!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Thumb my post down all you want, the windows PC should cost more as Dell has to buy Windows, where Ubuntu is free. This should make the Linux version cheaper for the end user, but instead Dell is actually marking up the Linux system by $100. See the links below if you don't believe me.

Windows 2TB $1049 after $200 discount.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=DPDOXP4u&model_id=alienware-x51&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Ubuntu 1TB $1049 after $100 discount.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dpcwxy3&model_id=alienware-x51&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

uhhh...you do realize the x51 is a desktop that has desktop hardware in it, right? having owned an x51, they are awesome lan rigs. also, i dont think $600 is a very bad price.....there is no way to make a rig this powerful by yourself that will fit in this footprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.