jamaloo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hi,

I have a dell precision m6800 with service tag, windows 7 product key and stuff... i wanted to know how can I install genuine windows 7 on it ?
And to make it clear my sister used all the CD ROMS i have in her art project.. ... including dell's original CD ROMS...

Currently i am using windows 10 without activating it.
Regards

Solution
Yes, if you can source install media for Windows 7, you can install & activate with the Dell product key.
The only real difference between retail media & Dell's is some drivers & bloat - a retail copy would be preferred regardless.

Unfortunately, MS do not provide W7 media for OEM keys, so you'd have to track it down yourself.

Alternatively, the W7 key should activate W10 (Home-Home, Pro-Pro).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes, if you can source install media for Windows 7, you can install & activate with the Dell product key.
The only real difference between retail media & Dell's is some drivers & bloat - a retail copy would be preferred regardless.

Unfortunately, MS do not provide W7 media for OEM keys, so you'd have to track it down yourself.

Alternatively, the W7 key should activate W10 (Home-Home, Pro-Pro).

Solution

jamaloo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Thanks for info... so to summarize it... i just install windows 7 and use my key, it work on it?

One more thing... can i directly install windows 10 pro and use the same key?

Regards