Dell online chat

sinamiran

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hello,i want to restore my computer to the original factory settings but when i choose "repair my computer" i am asked to log in as an administrator user but when i type my username and pass it gives me the error "the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted", what should i do now? thank you for your help

You should not be getting this if you are trying to do a full restore to factory defaults. That just wipes your hard-drive and re-installs the factory OS setup. Put in the restore disks, boot off them, and follow the prompts. Keep in mind that this will wipe any data on the drive.

This does not even hit Windows so you should not be seeing any prompts for passwords. What you are doing is not a "restore", make sure you are picking to do the right thing.

XennoTech

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

do not choose the repair option. choose the install option. repair is only for when something is out of whack and you're attempting to fix it.

keep in mind that restoring it to the factory settings/configuration will wipe out any data on the hard drive.