[SOLVED] Dell Optiplex 3010 Complexity

Rascalbandit

Reputable
Feb 27, 2020
Hello Everyone,
Long story short I needed a computer, so I bought a $50 dell optiplex 3010, pentium g2020, 8gb, 500gb WD, Windows Pro. I threw a SSD, 600w psu, rx 570 into it, and am borrowing a i7-2600k that i considered buying.

I was planning on upgrading to a asus p67 matx, but have decided to go with asrock b450 pro4 with ryzen 1600af for sake of not being stuck in a stone age platform.

I assume the B450 matx will fit into the optiplex 3010 case, BUT which utility plugs are proprietary, can i just ditch the front usb? This youtube video talks about it a little in regards to transferring optiplex into a new case, but what about a new computer into the optiplex?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh5mVi4wUwA

So I am thinking, either:
  1. Attempt to fit the b450 into optiplex case and use it as a sleeper computer (I like the case size and generic look) consider the $50 investment up to windows, 500gb optical and case. keep the optiplex mobo/psu in storage so i can sell the whole computer down the road.
  2. Sell the optiplex without windows for $50-100 now. Free windows pro. Whatever profit I make goes to buying a new case.

I originally was going to stick with i7-2600k, but don't want to spend more money on a dead end platform just to overclock to a handful of outdated graphics cards. the rx570 is nice for the price of $70 for now. I've been noticing that optiplexs sit on craigslist for a long time, so I'd think selling sooner the better? I figured a i7 would help sell it, but no such luck at $160 complete, without graphics card psu or ssd.

Solution
If you want to sell the Optiplex, consuder throwing in an i5. It would look more appealing over an i3 or a Pentium, and they're roughly $25-30. Also, put a 240gb ssd in there.
With prebuilts you can get proprietary motheboards that don't support standard power supplies, so you'd have little to no upgrade path. If your mobo has a 24 pin connector, don't forget to mention UPGRADABILITY. It's a BIG sale point.
Overall, with a $60 dollar investment AND a free Windows licence, I think you can sell it for about $140 or so, depending on your market.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
If you want to sell the Optiplex, consuder throwing in an i5. It would look more appealing over an i3 or a Pentium, and they're roughly $25-30. Also, put a 240gb ssd in there.
With prebuilts you can get proprietary motheboards that don't support standard power supplies, so you'd have little to no upgrade path. If your mobo has a 24 pin connector, don't forget to mention UPGRADABILITY. It's a BIG sale point.
Overall, with a $60 dollar investment AND a free Windows licence, I think you can sell it for about $140 or so, depending on your market.

Last edited:
Solution