[SOLVED] Dell Optiplex 3020 Shutting down

GioSs

Commendable
Feb 15, 2019
I have a Dell Optiplex 3020 and this problem began months ago. The specs are a new GTX 1650 LP, new 8gb of DDR3 ram, and new SSD and the rest are stock dell parts. When I get into a game it looks perfectly fine and normal nothings wrong but suddenly it goes through the shutting down process. Yes, it says shutting down and it shuts down. After this occurs it reboots again and again. The fans spin the stop and again. The temperatures seem normal and it can't be the new things that I put in so I'm confused. To add I've also tested pulling out the power button cable and turning it on manually and it runs fine. Is that the problem? Can anyone help me? I would dearly appreciate it.

Last edited:

GioSs

Commendable
Feb 15, 2019
I have a Dell Optiplex 3020 and it keeps shutting down. The specs are a new GTX 1650 LP, new 8gb of DDR3 ram, and new SSD and the rest are stock dell parts. When I get into a game it looks perfectly fine and normal nothings wrong but suddenly it goes through the shutting down process. Yes, it says shutting down and it shuts down. After this occurs it reboots again and again. The fans spin the stop and again. The temperatures seem normal and it can't be the new things that I put in so I'm confused. To add I've also tested pulling out the power button cable and turning it on manually and it runs fine. Is that the problem? Can anyone help me? I would dearly appreciate it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you sure? When I take the power button cable off I could play for the whole day. I don't know if I should replace it.
Unless the power button itself is partially staying "pressed" it should not make a difference regarding the other symptoms.

When you removed the power button, did you also leave the case open while the system was operating?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Am I correct in assuming this is the Small Form Factor version?

Also, am I correct in assuming that this video card does NOT have a PCIe connection?

I'm given to understand that some small form factor systems don't offer the full 75W for the PCIe x16 slot - but I don't know if the OptiPlex 3020 is one of them that does that.

GioSs

Commendable
Feb 15, 2019
Am I correct in assuming this is the Small Form Factor version?

Also, am I correct in assuming that this video card does NOT have a PCIe connection?

I'm given to understand that some small form factor systems don't offer the full 75W for the PCIe x16 slot - but I don't know if the OptiPlex 3020 is one of them that does that.
I may have said the wrong model it maybe is the 3010 I'm not sure but Im pretty sure it does have a PCIe.
That is one odd problem. Seems you narrowed down the issue yourself. Replace the power button.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-YPX0C-Optiplex-Power-Button/dp/B00M22Y59Q
I wanted to be sure I'll go ahead and buy it if it doesn't fix my problem I'll look into replacing my power supply thanks.

TRENDING THREADS