Dell Optiplex 330 from Windows XP to Windows 7

obnoxious_tuba

Reputable
May 14, 2014
I received 4 Dell Optiplex 2.4GHZ duo core 2 desktops with 160GB HDD, 2 GB ram.

I am trying to install Windows 7 on these computers, and it says "Windows 7 cannot configure the hardware for this device" or something to that effect.

Also I have read this may be a hard drive issue, but I haven't really found a definitive answer and have tried a few things. Theyre sata HDD's I dont understand what could be the issue

It also may help to know that I used Darik's Boot and Nuke on these HDD's before I tried to reinstall windows 7 on them. They werre previously windows xp. I used the quick option

I need to install windows 7 on these things soon or im going to be losing money.

Solution
Install the latest bios (A11 as I type this), then go to the Drives section
then "SATA Operation" and change the mode. There are two modes
"RAID Autodectect / ACHI" and "RAID Autodectect / ATA".
Look at what it's on and select the other one.

Then power down and back up, and do a clean install. It will work.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
I have no idea what "Darik's Boot and Nuke" did, but it sounds like Windows cannot deal with the hard drives as a result. When the Windows 7 installation disk boots up, does it see the hard drive? If so, can you delete all the partitions on it? That's normally the way to do it, go into "options" and delete each and every partition from the drive, then just click "Next" and let Windows 7 create whatever partitions it wants to on the drive.

It could be that the drive needs to be initialized with MBR, because "nuking it" may have removed the drive signature. I'm not sure if the Windows 7 Installation disk can initialize a drive, although I assume it can.

obnoxious_tuba

Reputable
May 14, 2014

I've tried deleting the partitions, yes, it gives you that option, but it always goes to this error

shawtravis88

Reputable
May 14, 2014
you may be trying to use advance format hard drives which do not work with windows 7. I know they did release an update to help with that but I do not know a whole lot about it. another possibility is the software version. what version are you trying to install and does it already have service pack 1 on it? if somehow you have gotten your hands on a windows 7 RTM version you need to try the install with a newer version of windows 7.

family-geek

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
Install the latest bios (A11 as I type this), then go to the Drives section
then "SATA Operation" and change the mode. There are two modes
"RAID Autodectect / ACHI" and "RAID Autodectect / ATA".
Look at what it's on and select the other one.

Then power down and back up, and do a clean install. It will work.

Solution

obnoxious_tuba

Reputable
May 14, 2014
^^It didn't work, but I did find the solution for myself. When you see this error, don't close out the window for it. Instead, hit SHIFT+F10 to bring up the command prompt.

Type these lines exactly:
cd..
cd..
cd C:\windows\system32\oobe
msoobe

This will bypass the basic hardware configuration , and you will continue with the install. This applies to all versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit.

TRENDING THREADS