[SOLVED] Dell OptiPlex 390 DT Fan Upgrades?

outlaw2001

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
Hello, I have been a member of this forum because computers are my passion.

I have recently come across a free OptiPlex 390 DT, and couldn't resist the offer. a core i5 2400, 8gb ddr3, 120gb SSD, 1tb HDD. everything runs perfect and is my first "personal rig" (other than family one). Anyways, I have come across a bit of a hiccup, case fans. I am going to be purchasing a low profile 1050ti for this computer, which means more heat. the CPU idles around 33 degrees Celsius while writing this with Firefox. the CPU does not go above 75 when rendering, so the CPU cooler is decent (any recommendations would be great!), but there is only one 80mm exhaust fan at the front of the case. I can barely feel the air exhausting from this little fan. I know upgrading the fan will have better airflow, but one fan just isn't going to cut it. any recommendations on case fans or CPU coolers would be greatly appreciated!
390dt.jpg

m002337081_sc7

PDSI212225390_3.jpg

Solution
Dell tends to use industrial fans on most of their computers. They are much more powerful than aftermarket fans. It's probably set up as an intake fan. That's why you don't feel air coming out there. If your CPU cooler is all aluminum there are copper core versions that came with higher powered CPUs. Dell likes to use the PSU fan for an exhaust. If you pull the fan out you can see measure the size and thickness of it, and get the Amperage and sometines the CFM airflow off of the label. It's probably a 92mm wide fan, but may be 25mm thick ( like most aftermarket) or 32mm thick which is much better. There may be room to stick a thicker fan in there. Possibly even 38mm. But I would just upgrade the cooler first.
Dell tends to use industrial fans on most of their computers. They are much more powerful than aftermarket fans. It's probably set up as an intake fan. That's why you don't feel air coming out there. If your CPU cooler is all aluminum there are copper core versions that came with higher powered CPUs. Dell likes to use the PSU fan for an exhaust. If you pull the fan out you can see measure the size and thickness of it, and get the Amperage and sometines the CFM airflow off of the label. It's probably a 92mm wide fan, but may be 25mm thick ( like most aftermarket) or 32mm thick which is much better. There may be room to stick a thicker fan in there. Possibly even 38mm. But I would just upgrade the cooler first.

Solution

outlaw2001

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
thanks so much for your answer. do you have any recommendations for case fans and the CPU cooler? I've been looking online and have come to notice a deepcool alta200, cryorig c7, and the silver-stone AR06 as possible coolers. and aftermarket fans would be a sanyo denki san ace 92 9G0924H202. do you know by chance how loud this fan is? and whether or not i could connect this to the 3 pin connector on the mobo? any help in the matter would be appreciated

outlaw2001

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
So I have just opened the case. And an 80x80x20 is the biggest it will fit. There is about a 2 or 3mm clearance between the fan and the hdd cage. The fan is barely blowing air. It was set to exhaust. I have it set to intake now, just had to swap it around. Any recommendations?

Here is a chart of Delta fans that will fit that. They're just 2 wire fans but you can see the relationship between Amps, and RPM and CFM airflow. if you have a low AMP fan you can improve it. But I would start at the CPU cooler. Optiplexes had a 95W CPU limit, and were built to a price. They almost always have a low end cooler. Especially if they came with a 65W 2 core and got upgraded to a 95W 4 core.

outlaw2001

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017

there is no graph connected to this post! just to let you know!

outlaw2001

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
Thankyou everyone for your answers! i had purchased some 80mm fans about a week ago. they are Arctic F8 fans, one is PWM for the cpu, and a recular 3 pin for the front intake, i took a fan splitter and hooked both of them up so i have the extra header for the older case fan that i am using as a gpu fan until i can get some acrylic for the side panel and install a thermaltake 120x120x15mm white led fan. turns out one of the fan headers (closest to the cpu but not the cpu header) doesnt work, and the recular fan header (one closes to the SATA connectors) only draws enough current to keep the fan going, but not at full speed. which was dissapinting as it doesnt even push the 120mm i have. fan splitters will have to do as this psu does not have a spare MOLEX or SATA connector as i have 3 hdds in here. unless i get a fan hub that has a SATA and take out the stock hdd, but thanks for the help!

Looking at the photos of the case I see an air intake over the CPU fan anyway. The I/O fan won't make much diffference. I would suggest finding an old copper core Intel heatsink to replace the all aluminum one that's probably in there. It may come with a higher rated fan also. These were provided with the higher powered CPUs and can easily cool any CPU that will run in an Optiplex.
https://www.amazon.com/PartsCollection-LGA1150-LGA1151-LGA1155-Processors/dp/B0725XT8YS/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B8BAXSKSEPPN6SBDK3K8