Question Dell optiplex 390 not working

Nov 9, 2020
Hi Guys. I have an dell optiplex 390 (i3 2100) which was working fine. Then suddenly it froze. After rebooting it, it got stuck at bios screen. Now it won't Even react to the power button, Even when shorting the pins on motherboard.

What size is the case, is it the full tower? I know our full towers at work have a 1 2 3 4 on the front of them that light up during boot. They are an error code for dell, i had one fail and they had me read the light on the front to figure out what was wrong with it.

Give this a quick read to see what is wrong with yours Dell

Nov 9, 2020
What size is the case, is it the full tower? I know our full towers at work have a 1 2 3 4 on the front of them that light up during boot. They are an error code for dell, i had one fail and they had me read the light on the front to figure out what was wrong with it.

Give this a quick read to see what is wrong with yours Dell
it is micro atx. it does have the front indicators, but nothing lights up or reacts to the on/off switch

Nov 9, 2020
Nov 9, 2020
Are you able to get into the bios?

I would also try unpluging the PSU and pull the Cmos battery out for a while, next only have the CPU, OS, and 1 stick of ram in and see if it will boot.
no bios, no reaction from power button at all. i have tried with only essentials, and unplugging cord + battery

My bad i thought it was powering on and getting stuck at the bios, you cant even get it to power on.

Give this a try
Perform the Power Supply (PSU) Built In Self Test (BIST) to make sure there are no issues with the PSU.
  • Do this by pressing and holding the test button on the PSU where the AC cable is connected. The LED will light up if the BIST test passes.
  • If the PSU BIST passes, the issue may be with the Motherboard.

Its a long read but you can also go through this long checklist to see whats going on.

https://www.dell.com/support/articl...dell-desktop-computer?lang=en#No_Power_Issues

Nov 9, 2020
My bad i thought it was powering on and getting stuck at the bios, you cant even get it to power on.

Give this a try
Perform the Power Supply (PSU) Built In Self Test (BIST) to make sure there are no issues with the PSU.
  • Do this by pressing and holding the test button on the PSU where the AC cable is connected. The LED will light up if the BIST test passes.
  • If the PSU BIST passes, the issue may be with the Motherboard.
Its a long read but you can also go through this long checklist to see whats going on.

https://www.dell.com/support/articl...dell-desktop-computer?lang=en#No_Power_Issues
It is running with a different psu. But it doesn't seem like thats the problem. It was working fine, then got stuck at bios load. Now No life what so ever