Dell optiplex 7010 Graphics card upgrade

tamir_116

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017
Hey, i have the Dell optiplex 7010 MiniTower with a 275W power source and i would like to upgrade my graphics card without touching the power source. now, im not looking for an extremely good graphics card but something that could run games like Cs:go or overwatch properly. i'de love any recommendation i can get.

Solution
There are no video cards that need PCIe 3.0 yet. in fact running in a PCIe 8x 2.0 slot causes very little loss even on high end dual GPU cards. It's a non issue. The 1050 cards need 75W to operate. The 300W rating takes into account higher powered CPUs and larger computers iwth more drive bays and expansion slots. The Dell PSU will power all the bays and slots the MT case provides and the 95W CPU it cna run.
The GTX1050 2GB Should do what you want. The Dell 275W PSU can power the 75W PCIe slot just fine. The Optiplexes all have a 95W CPU limit (unless you go back to the Pentium4 era) so there is enough power left for the GPU. The GTX1050Ti with 4 GB might be worth considering because it would have a longer useful life. Some of these come with a 6 pin PCIe connector for overclocking power which you won't want. Measure the length available, or just get a single fan version.

tamir_116

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017

thanks man but i have a few followup questions,
a.will PCI-E 3.0 x 16 work for me?
b.as i was looking at these products i saw that they need 300W. like, every graphics card needed 300W even the weaker ones, is that still ok to order?

300W is what they suggest, in order to make sure customers don't complain the card doesn't work. Your power supply should be able to handle it, it's 'close enough'. Not all power supplies are the same, some are inferior. So they recommend more power than you need just to make sure that it'll work even if you're using a cheaply made power supply.

There are less demanding cards, like the GT 1030 which only requires 30W of power, but if you want to play Overwatch I think the 1050 is a better choice.

There are no video cards that need PCIe 3.0 yet. in fact running in a PCIe 8x 2.0 slot causes very little loss even on high end dual GPU cards. It's a non issue. The 1050 cards need 75W to operate. The 300W rating takes into account higher powered CPUs and larger computers iwth more drive bays and expansion slots. The Dell PSU will power all the bays and slots the MT case provides and the 95W CPU it cna run.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS