[SOLVED] Dell Optiplex 7010 MT

May 7, 2020
Hello all am new to this forum.

I hope I've posted this topic in the right thread if not I apologise.

I want some help and information on 2 tower PC's I recently bought, both are running same identical specification.

Stock power supply 4GB DDR3 RAM, 3rd Gen Core i3 3220 and no hard drives.

I want to convert these two PC's into gaming and video editing PC's.

I done some researching this past week and Google not giving me much information.

Games I'm looking to play are early 2000's such as GTA 3, Vice City, San Andres, Need For Speed U1, U2, Most Wanted 2005, Sims 1 and 2, EA's F1 series, rFactor 2005 etc so, nothing to demanding.

Appreciate the suggestions and help thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
For the retro gaming, the onboard graphics of the i3 should be able to handle it, so for that pc, just get yourself a hard drive or better yet a ssd, and start from there. If the performance isn't good enough, the 7010 mt is up to standard and will accept components like a full size gpu and atx power supplies.

For the video editing, get your self a i5 3470/3550/3570 off of ebay for ~$25, and 2x4gb ddr3 ram kit off ebay as well for ~$20-$30. 8gb ram is enough assuming you will be editing videos at 720p or lower, and occasionally 1080p.
If you'll be editing 1080p videos consistently, look into a 4x4gb ddr3 set for ~$50, g.skill ddr3 memory is a common brand available on the used market.

Btw, the i5 3570 is quite a competent cpu...
Hello all am new to this forum.

I hope I've posted this topic in the right thread if not I apologise.

I want some help and information on 2 tower PC's I recently bought, both are running same identical specification.

Stock power supply 4GB DDR3 RAM, 3rd Gen Core i3 3220 and no hard drives.

I want to convert these two PC's into gaming and video editing PC's.

I done some researching this past week and Google not giving me much information.

Games I'm looking to play are early 2000's such as GTA 3, Vice City, San Andres, Need For Speed U1, U2, Most Wanted 2005, Sims 1 and 2, EA's F1 series, rFactor 2005 etc so, nothing to demanding.

Appreciate the suggestions and help thank you.
You just need a gpu to play that games,but i dont understand what do you want for playing old games,but want to do something demanding like video editing

May 7, 2020
You just need a gpu to play that games,but i dont understand what do you want for playing old games,but want to do something demanding like video editing

Hi thanks for the reply.

They are separate mini tower PC's but, both are running the same specifications.

I just need help on upgrade suggestions for components, as I said before am new to building.

I have absolutely no clue what power supply to use, CPU to upgrade to or what graphics card to put in.

Am coming to PC platform from consoles.

I would consider myself as a retro gamer.

I like older games than new ones.

Would like some suggestions for the video editing PC and my PC for retro gaming.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the reply.

They are separate mini tower PC's but, both are running the same specifications.

I just need help on upgrade suggestions for components, as I said before am new to building.

I have absolutely no clue what power supply to use, CPU to upgrade to or what graphics card to put in.

Am coming to PC platform from consoles.

I would consider myself as a retro gamer.

I like older games than new ones.

Would like some suggestions for the video editing PC and my PC for retro gaming.
ohhhhh so you mean two pcs for different purposes.I thought you meant only one pc for both purposes thats why i was confused.Ok for the retro gaming pc i would suggest only a gpu.I wouldnt pay more than 70$
I would suggest this gpu:https://www.amazon.com/GeForce-GDDR...ys-20&linkId=028d553731784a1ca7b76db88eca7c4a

Now,for the editing pc i suggest this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nwRQYH

For the retro gaming, the onboard graphics of the i3 should be able to handle it, so for that pc, just get yourself a hard drive or better yet a ssd, and start from there. If the performance isn't good enough, the 7010 mt is up to standard and will accept components like a full size gpu and atx power supplies.

For the video editing, get your self a i5 3470/3550/3570 off of ebay for ~$25, and 2x4gb ddr3 ram kit off ebay as well for ~$20-$30. 8gb ram is enough assuming you will be editing videos at 720p or lower, and occasionally 1080p.
If you'll be editing 1080p videos consistently, look into a 4x4gb ddr3 set for ~$50, g.skill ddr3 memory is a common brand available on the used market.

Btw, the i5 3570 is quite a competent cpu, so you can easily put a modern low end gpu in it and play modern titles.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution