Question Dell Optiplex 7010 won't post or boot unless I change iGPU back to GPU, or vice versa?

Feb 12, 2023
Hello,

I apologize in advance for the novel, but I have an unusual problem and done lots of troubleshooting, so this is pretty thorough...

I have a Dell Optiplex 7010 that has been considerably upgraded in it's life and has now been relegated to dedicated duty as part of my DJ booth system. I use it strictly to run Rane Serato software, music editing software, playing music from youtube and basic web browsing from time to time. The system is running Win 10 x64 with an i5-3550 cpu, 12gb of matching Corsair RAM, an SSD for boot, HDD for storage and a DVD drive. At the moment, it has a 430w Thermaltake PSU in it, but I've had this issue with both the 430w and the original 250w stock PSU. I also have numerous GPUs on hand that are good fits for this system, including the onboard graphics, a GT 1030 2GB, and old Radeon Dell 2GB card an a Quadro FX 1800. I can make any of these cards work just fine in the system. But there's a catch... keep reading.

My problem is that "restart" shutdown works fine... Win 10 goes down, then comes back up again... But when I try to shut down the system completely via Sleep, Hibernate or full Shut Down commands, then windows winds itself down to it's power shutoff point, and the PC goes into a continuous loop of attempts where the it tries to post, over and over again. The case and PSU fans spin for about one second, then they stop for about three seconds, and then they spin again for a second, and so on. During those moments when the PSU is "on" but the vent fan is not spinning, I can hear a slight buzzing sound from the PSU that goes away as soon as the fans start spinning. If I long-press the power button on the PC itself, I can make the boot-up attempts stop and the PC seems to shut down completely, but I can still hear the barely-audible buzz from the PSU, until I switch off the PSU toggle switch or unplug power cable. Then the sound goes away as well. But, when I try to turn the machine back on again after I switch off the PSU, I get more of the same the moment I turn on the PSU again... continuous post-attempts with zero signal going to the monitor, ever.

Keep in mind that this behavior is the same, regardless of whether I'm using integrated graphics or any of the other video cards I mentioned before.

I tried CMOS battery removal/reset which gave me "configuration problem" message on screen and the choice to F1 (continue) F2 (setup) or F5 (diagnostics). When I select F5 and run all of the built-in diagnostic tests, the computer's components pass all with flying colors.

I have also unplugged all of my peripherals, removed GPU and tried just getting the MB to POST, and the MB does the same thing with nothing but RAM, CPU and cooling fans plugged into it.

THE ONLY WAY I CAN SEEM TO GET THE PC TO BOOT UP PROPERLY WORK AGAIN.... is if I switch GPU while the PSU is fully switched off or unplugged. So, if I had previously been running internal graphics and then install any of the PCIe cards I have on-hand , the machine goes through full boot up as soon as I turn on the power supply switch. (IMPORTANT: THIS HAPPENS WITHOUT ME PUSHING THE POWER BUTTON) and then the PC works like a champ until I try to shut it off. Or, if I had been using a PCIe card and then power the machine down completely and remove the card to use integrated GPU, the computer posts, boots and runs just fine again. (AGAIN, TURNS ON AS SOON AS PSU GETS POWER TO IT, WITHOUT ME HITTING THE POWER BUTTON TO TURN IT ON)

So, this problem happened with two different power supplies (although I don't recall hearing any sound from the less powerful OEM Dell when it was in there) so it seems to me like this could be a motherboard short, maybe somewhere around the on-switch circuit, or maybe a PCIe issue. I'd be very grateful for any insight anyone can provide...

Feb 12, 2023
I just pulled and tested the MB outside of the case to eliminate an in-case short and to further disqualify the PSU as the issue. I'm starting to think it's a motherboard level fault that has developed. Much newer 800w PSU, same problem (but without the buzz from the PSU). I will likely install a replacement MB from ebay and will use the 800w PSU for this computer moving forward. That buzz makes me nervous.

Feb 12, 2023
I just carefully put everything back together with the original Dell 275w Dell and am running the Nvidia Quadro FX1800 GPU. As expected, the computer has been running well and providing me with music for the last hour, without any hiccups. And I expect she'll run fine until I shut her off again. I'm not even gonna bother shutting down until I ready to shut it down for the day as I'm pretty sure the same thing will happen all over again. :(

I just went on ebay and found a used Dell 7010 motherboard from Ebay for only $15 (which includes shipping). That's a no-brainer purchase, since the power switch plug and some of the other MB connectors are proprietary, I'd rather not fiddle with a MB from another manufacturer in that case. Unless I'm missing something, I fear this is pretty much the last troubleshooting step for me to try at this point.