Dell Optiplex 7020 sff GPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2018
Dell Optiplex 7020 sff i5, Win 10 x64 gpu upgrade
Hi guys

I am a bit confused here, Just bought Dell Optiplex 7020 sff pc and was wondering if GPU upgrade is possible. I have searched for it via dell websites and fund support pages for Dell discrete gpu options. But there is no mention of PSU which is as standard 255W !? Both AMD cards have 40-50W ( 1GB AMD Radeon HD8570 or 1GB AMD Radeon HD8490) power consumption. I just dont wanna burn or overheat this pc... at the end using integrated card vs AMD ? Watch videos, browsing casual web gaming for my daughter...is there a point in upgrading at all?? Link below for 7020 discrete GPU
https://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukdhs1/sln152041/optiplex-graphics-card-options-discrete-video-?lang=en#OptiPlex_7020_9020_&_XE2

If anyone can advice please....thx guys

Solution
The highest I could suggest, provide the BIOS is UEFI, would be the GT1030. Anything more would necessitate a more powerful PSU which the unit will not support. If you're electrically competent, you could pick up a pico PSU and rewire the connectors to your needs but if you're not, then I'd suggest that you stick to the existing platform's PSU and try it with a GT1030. You can source older cards like the GT710/GT720/GT730(in case your BIOS is not UEFI compatible) and the GT1030 brings up a black screen in spite of powering up to desktop.

Lutfij

Titan
The highest I could suggest, provide the BIOS is UEFI, would be the GT1030. Anything more would necessitate a more powerful PSU which the unit will not support. If you're electrically competent, you could pick up a pico PSU and rewire the connectors to your needs but if you're not, then I'd suggest that you stick to the existing platform's PSU and try it with a GT1030. You can source older cards like the GT710/GT720/GT730(in case your BIOS is not UEFI compatible) and the GT1030 brings up a black screen in spite of powering up to desktop.

Solution
Oct 13, 2018
So those 2 GPU are fine. Terms of Plug and play + setup right. ? I dont wanna do anymore upgrades as thats way too much work for me, and I have no idea all about his anyway

Oct 13, 2018
Dell cant be bothered to mention anything if performing GPU upgrade so must be fine...Both cards are low power. Any idea what are PCIe Watts limitation on this board. I was searching around, and some places says 50W other 35W...

Dell only lists what they sold with these business computers. They also have a 95W CPU limit and the SFF has few expansion slots and bays to power. So the 255W PSU is actually enough to run a 75W GPU.
Page 54 of the manual doesn't list a PCIe power limit, and images of that MB don't have it stenciled next to the PCIe slot. So a GTX1050TI Low Profile should work. 75W is the default PCIe 16x power limit. If your computers has a lower limit it will be stenciled on the MB next to the PCIe 16X slot.
There is a Dell 315W SFF PSU. It's basically a 255W with a 75W 6pin PCIe cable added.
https://www.ebay.com/i/113260800940?chn=ps
Be aware it only has a Dell 8 pin MB power cable, a 4 pin CPU cable and the added GPU cable.
I'm not aware of any recent low profile GPU that needs that.

Oct 13, 2018
Hi

Gt1030 LP half size gigabyte works well...but even is low power, PCU still struggle 255W. Performed test with World of tanks on max settings on SD mode and After reaching 73 degrees, GPU cutting off/ black screen. It still works with low settings. So very light gaming on older games without putting too much strees on GPU and u be fine.

Oct 13, 2018
So far its in window mode at 1280x 1024 low details settings...and runs fine...
This is just advice to other people who might be uninterested in similar upgrade....

SSJBart2003

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Dell only lists what they sold with these business computers. They also have a 95W CPU limit and the SFF has few expansion slots and bays to power. So the 255W PSU is actually enough to run a 75W GPU.
Page 54 of the manual doesn't list a PCIe power limit, and images of that MB don't have it stenciled next to the PCIe slot. So a GTX1050TI Low Profile should work. 75W is the default PCIe 16x power limit. If your computers has a lower limit it will be stenciled on the MB next to the PCIe 16X slot.
There is a Dell 315W SFF PSU. It's basically a 255W with a 75W 6pin PCIe cable added.
https://www.ebay.com/i/113260800940?chn=ps
Be aware it only has a Dell 8 pin MB power cable, a 4 pin CPU cable and the added GPU cable.
I'm not aware of any recent low profile GPU that needs that.

hello. I recently put that 315 W power supply in my OptiPlex 7020 SFF. So my basic 255W didn’t go up at all? I just have that six pin PCIE cable in there for nothing? LOL Because my GTX 1650 LP doesn’t need it

Status
Not open for further replies.