[SOLVED] Dell Optiplex 745 Amber Light.

Plicker19

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
My dell optiplex 745 worked but when I shut it down (not ACPI) It turned on with an amber light. It will show the light and lights and the fan but nothing else. Its not he memory hdd or psu. I noticed it is dusty inside. any ideas? thanks!

Solution
Is it a solid amber, no blinking? My friends 780 had that and turned out to be the motherboard. Replaced it with new old stock from eBay for $28. You need to get the motherboard number off the one you have and make sure it matches if you buy one. Had my friends changed out and up and running in 30 min, upgraded his CPU from a E7500 to E8600 that I had extra while I was at it. Is it the MT?
Well since you mentioned it, your pc is dusty inside. Which can cause an electrical arc, causing your psu to not turn on because of power surge. Unplug your pc, clean all surfaces that you see with dust, to include, memory, case fans, motherboard. Do not use liquid of any kind. Use canned air or a dry cloth to clean surfaces. Then try to power on.

you can try resetting the cmos.
unplug the pc, under the hard drive is a button battery, remove that and to the left of the battery is a black chip, to the left of that is a jumper(two metal pins) which you short by using a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds. plug the battery back in and try powering it up.

If that doesn't work, you can try re-seating all the front panel connectors or finding the power button pins and short them out, but that's a stretch.

lynx1021

Distinguished
Is it a solid amber, no blinking? My friends 780 had that and turned out to be the motherboard. Replaced it with new old stock from eBay for $28. You need to get the motherboard number off the one you have and make sure it matches if you buy one. Had my friends changed out and up and running in 30 min, upgraded his CPU from a E7500 to E8600 that I had extra while I was at it. Is it the MT?

Last edited:
Solution