[SOLVED] Dell optiplex 745 ssf cpu

Omar nagdee

Prominent
Mar 10, 2019
Going to upgrade this. I know its old.
Atm there is 4gb ram. 160gb hdd, intel E6300. Best cpu upgrade? Going to put 240gb ssd and 4x2gb ddr2 800mhz.
I know the q6700 works but mixed comments on Google. Hopefully anyone on here can help

Solution
q6700 will work fine. The q9xxx series works fine as well I believe depending on the power supply. And the lga 775 xeons x3xxx work as well.

You'll get a nice boost from the upgrades. :D

And for kicks to see how you compare to the competition, whenever you're at an electronics store next time that has laptops or desktops that have Internet access--quickly go to speed-battle.com and look at that number. Then check the same site on your system at home. You'll be shocked. This little test is only measuring the single thread performance via a browser so even the browser will make a difference (chrome vs ff on my system can show a difference as much as 40%), but it's a quick and neat little test.
q6700 will work fine. The q9xxx series works fine as well I believe depending on the power supply. And the lga 775 xeons x3xxx work as well.

You'll get a nice boost from the upgrades. :D

And for kicks to see how you compare to the competition, whenever you're at an electronics store next time that has laptops or desktops that have Internet access--quickly go to speed-battle.com and look at that number. Then check the same site on your system at home. You'll be shocked. This little test is only measuring the single thread performance via a browser so even the browser will make a difference (chrome vs ff on my system can show a difference as much as 40%), but it's a quick and neat little test.

Solution
Your Mboard have Q965 chipset, with max FSB supported is 1066.
Q6700 will work, and another C2Quad like Q6400 and Q6600.
Agh, that's right--I was thinking 755. You can also use the QX6800. And some of the 1066 fsb lga 775 xeons will also work like the x3220 and x3230:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...20-vs-Intel-Xeon-X3230/1023vs1039vs1279vs1280

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check Dell first for available cpus. Dell runs proprietary everything it could, that includes bios and accepted cpus. The chipset is an Intel restriction but historically Dell goes over and above that and bios restricts upgrades to only certain cpus that were offered in the original models.

The OptiPlex 745 supports the following processors:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6700 (4M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6600 (4M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6420 (4M Cache, 2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 (2M Cache, 2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6320 (4M Cache, 1.86 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 (2M Cache, 1.86 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)

Core 2 Quad processors are not supported by the OptiPlex 745.

Prior to installing the processor, remember to update the BIOS to the latest version.

Check Dell first for available cpus. Dell runs proprietary everything it could, that includes bios and accepted cpus. The chipset is an Intel restriction but historically Dell goes over and above that and bios restricts upgrades to only certain cpus that were offered in the original models.
Dell only lists what they tested. Usually it can run much, much more as technology advances. In my own 745 USFF (which is even more limited than SFF), I have a q6600 working just fine. I'm sure any of the processors I mentioned would work well in it too.