Dell Optiplex 745 W/Core 2 1.86 cpu

jimmac999

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I received an Intel E8 400 Core 2 Cpu as a gift. It runs at 3.0 ghz with a 1333 front side bus. Since it is socketed for a LGA 775 which is what the Optiplex 745 has, my question is whether or not I can replace the old CPU with this new one? I realize this is an old, obsolete system but if the new cpu would extend its usefullness a bit longer it would be worth it to me to make the exchange. Thanks in advance for any other help, advice or suggestions.

Solution

Go to "support.dell.com" - enter the service tag number. Then go to downloads. From here you can see what the latest BIOS and date is. First try with the existing BIOS. Do not update (flash) the BIOS if the existing BIOS works fine.

Yes I did see the difference in FSB. 1066 means that the board was tested and ran well at that speed. It is possible that the 1333 may run fine. If not it will downclock...
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Here are the specs for the Optiplex 745: http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/opti_745techspecs.pdf

According to Dell's specs you can use a Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 1066MHz processor.

The processor you have is also a Core 2 Duo - try it. If it were my desktop I would try it.

On Dell Optiplex 755 desktops I have switched processors without any issues.

Download the manual from "support.dell.com" - enter the service tag number if necessary.

jimmac999

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Thanks for your reply. Couple of quick questions. How does one locate a BIOS update site? If one were available, would it make a beneficial difference? Also, since the new chip has a FSB of 1333 and the current board only operates at 1066 would that mean the new CPU would probably still work just at a lower clock speed?

Thanks again

Go to "support.dell.com" - enter the service tag number. Then go to downloads. From here you can see what the latest BIOS and date is. First try with the existing BIOS. Do not update (flash) the BIOS if the existing BIOS works fine.

Yes I did see the difference in FSB. 1066 means that the board was tested and ran well at that speed. It is possible that the 1333 may run fine. If not it will downclock to the design speed of 1033 or not run at all. There will be a slight increase in power draw but the existing PSU will handle it.

Read the manual first. The heatsink on this Dell is a hinged design with two hold down screws at one end and the hinge at the other. The heatsink will be 'stuck' to the CPU and when you try to unhinge the heatsink off the CPU it will come off with a snap. Sort of scary the first time.

I have done this on more than one Dell desktop and in every case after I got the heatsink off I cleaned the base and carefully polished the base flat before re-installing it using Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. If you are handy at polishing (polishing is erroneously called lapping) you can do this.

Go ahead and try it.

Solution