Dell Optiplex 755 DT PSU

Epicstatusguy

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
What's the standard PSU that comes with the DT version? Is it a 305W or a 280W?

Can it be upgraded to a 305W?

If not, what's the best graphics card that can run on a 280W supply?

Solution
Just go grab a cheap $50 450 or 500watt and throw that in there and you will not be limited on what card you can use. I have done this to many Dell computers makeing a buisness machine into a decent gaming machine.. The i5 i7 ones have turned out very nice for 2ndary gaming computers in my house.

Thent

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Desktop

Number of Bays
1 internal 3.5", 1 external 3.5", 1 external 5.25"

Dimensions
H: 15.65" W: 4.59" D: 14.25"
H: 39.75cm W: 11.66cm D: 36.19cm

Slots
2 low-profile PCI
-(H: 2.5" X L: 6.6")
1 low-profile PCIe x16 graphics
-(H: 2.5" X L: 6.6")
Optional Riser converts the PCIe and PCI to either 1 PCIe and 1 PCI or 2 PCI - variable height
-(H: 4.2" X L: 6.9")

Power Supply
280W

That model DELL isn't worth upgrading , due to the size.

Just go grab a cheap $50 450 or 500watt and throw that in there and you will not be limited on what card you can use. I have done this to many Dell computers makeing a buisness machine into a decent gaming machine.. The i5 i7 ones have turned out very nice for 2ndary gaming computers in my house.

Thent

Solution

Epicstatusguy

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014

The PSU can't be upgraded. I just need a decent graphic card that will work with 280W's of power.

Dread Kaiser

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
I just picked up one of these on the cheap ($12AUD to be exact) as a kick-around box for LAN's - I upgraded the power supply by getting a SFX PSU, and mouting it via cutting a aluminium plate to size of the OEM PSU with mounting points, followed by a cut out inside that for the SFX PSU and it's mounting points.

The next problem after that is size and mounting - The PCI-Ex16 slot isn't positioned for dual bracket GPU's (like the low profile GTX750 Ti), the riser doesn't aliviate this as it positions the raised PCI-Ex16 slot below the raised PCI slot.

So you come back to the problem not being able to utilised dual bracket GPU, there are ones that use a single bracket but still have a dual bracket-sized cooler, so you run into the problem of the cooler either touching the board, or sucking in hot air straight off the motherboard.

You also need to keep in mind the GPU doesn't extend much further than the PCI-Ex16 slot, otherwise it'll touch the CPU heat sink.