Dell Optiplex 755 MT - Adding 2nd Hard drive - Any system factors limiting size and/or speed

SOCEY1

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Hello,
I'm thinking about adding a second hard drive to my system.
I want a SATA drive.
I know my system takes a 3.5" size.

My machine is: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 (4M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) vPro, VT. I'm running Windows 7 Professional, with 8Gb of 800Mhz RAM.

I want the fastest hard drive I can get, with at least one terabyte of storage.
My question is:
Is there anything on my system (hardware or software), that will limit the size and/or speed of the drive I can use?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
You can buy the fastest hard drives on the market (if you want fast, look at an SSD) but you're going to be bottlenecked by the SATA II controller on your motherboard. The newest one in SATA III so its going to be half the speed, 3 Gbps as opposed to 6. You might also have to upgrade your power supply depending if it doesn't have an available connector for an additional hard drive.
Hi

Is mt midi tower case or something smaller like micro tower
The same Dell model often came in 4 different size cases
Along as there is space for a 3.5" sata drive with a spare sata power cable available you will be ok

Probably fastest ordinary hard drive is the WD 10,000rpm 2.5" drive in a 3.5" heat sink mounting velociraptor range

Probably best not to go above 2TB especially if you want to boot from this drive

The hybrid hard drive with 8GB flash + 0.75, 1, 1.5 or 2 TB hard drives are good
Or a SSD of 120 TB or 250TB for Windows and a data 7200 rpm hard drive with 32 or 64 meg cache

Regards
Mike Barnes

gerald191146

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
You can buy the fastest hard drives on the market (if you want fast, look at an SSD) but you're going to be bottlenecked by the SATA II controller on your motherboard. The newest one in SATA III so its going to be half the speed, 3 Gbps as opposed to 6. You might also have to upgrade your power supply depending if it doesn't have an available connector for an additional hard drive.

Solution

SOCEY1

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
It's an MT (mini tower), which is the biggest size physical case.
I don't want an SSD drive because they don't last as long as SATA.
I am looking at the Velociraptor 1 terabyte drive, and here are the specs:
•Interface: SATA3
•Buffer to Host: 6 Gb/s
Can my motherboard handle the 6gb/s transfer?
And is SATA3 compatible with SATA?