[SOLVED] Dell optiplex 760 gpu upgrade

Jun 15, 2020
I would like to upgrade gpu on my dell optiplex 760 MT (mid tower)

Considering budget options and gpus available in the area, i chose rx 560

Now i have 2 choices, 1 is small card and supposed to fit perfectly in my case (gigabyte rx 560 oc 2g) and does not require external 6 pin connector

Other being bigger xfx rx 560 4gb, which i can fit but requires additional 6 pin connector which my 305w psu doesnt have, i don't mind upgrading psu as it hardly costs 18$ for a 600w one or trying some sata to 6pin adapters

Now the problems that could arise are
  1. Will my pci slot be able to power rx 560 (one without 6pin connector)
  2. If not, a psu upgrade and xfx one should do but i will have to break some of the cpu heatsink cover plastic
  3. My system doesn't support uefi bios, will rx 560 even work?
Fitting a card in is no big deal i can fit a baby elephant in it given the task, i am only concerned about compatibility as i am on a tight budget and only get to make a single choice
Now, which one should i buy as both are available costing somewhat same

Solution
Its a used psu from a friend so i think it wont be that bad, i am concerned about 305w psu (are you sure its enough?) or pci slot not being able to deliver enough juice as no one ever cared about mentioning anything about anything to anyone about the compatibility of that dinosaur i have.

If the GPU can only pull from the slot its limited to 75w, unless you have like 10 hard drives hooked up its more than enough.

The Dell MT computers did not have slot power limitations, it was often their SFF or desktop offerings that had that issue.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
i don't mind upgrading psu as it hardly costs 18$ for a 600w one or trying some sata to 6pin adapters

In terms of life decisions, the choice to use a $18 600w PSU is one that would be right up there with drinking bleach or running in traffic blindfolded or buying gas station Sushi..

The RX 560 should be fine without a UEFI BIOS and will also work in that slot if you buy the one that doesn't need a 6 pin connector. Thats your best choice.

Should you want to get a PSU, you really only need about 450w for any lower end GPU. But don't buy the $18 one.

Jun 15, 2020
In terms of life decisions, the choice to use a $18 600w PSU is one that would be right up there with drinking bleach or running in traffic blindfolded or buying gas station Sushi..

The RX 560 should be fine without a UEFI BIOS and will also work in that slot if you buy the one that doesn't need a 6 pin connector. Thats your best choice.

Should you want to get a PSU, you really only need about 450w for any lower end GPU. But don't buy the $18 one.
Its a used psu from a friend so i think it wont be that bad, i am concerned about 305w psu (are you sure its enough?) or pci slot not being able to deliver enough juice as no one ever cared about mentioning anything about anything to anyone about the compatibility of that dinosaur i have.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

If the GPU can only pull from the slot its limited to 75w, unless you have like 10 hard drives hooked up its more than enough.

The Dell MT computers did not have slot power limitations, it was often their SFF or desktop offerings that had that issue.

Reactions: r.asim
Solution