Dell Optiplex 760 w/ NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 480 - PCI EXPRESS.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccomito1223

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hi all,

I have a Dell Optiplex 760 that needs a video upgrade. I called Dell and asked their recommendations and this is what somewhat what they/we came up with but I'm not entirely convinced this is the best choice.

I currently have a 256MB GeForce 9300 Ge graphics card and want to upgrade to a "NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 480 - PCI EXPRESS.0 - 1536 MB - GDDR5 SDRAM (A3712449)"

In order to do that I have to upgrade the power supply. Dell said the only one they had that would work is an modular unit: ZM600HP 600 W Modular Power Supply (A1151104).

The first question is do I need all that video card? I need to support 3 monitors and it is for a pretty highly loaded down CAD station and question 2, is that a better alternative to this card?

I'd also like to know if theres a PSU that could simply replace the existing while giving me the 650 watts needed?

Solution

Dont believe in dell, Modular just means you can detach the power cable, it has nothing to do with the power output.

You got the wrong info when you read that the GTX460 can output 3 monitors at the same time, currently only the HD5000 series of cards can do that.

Also, you wont...

Timop

Distinguished
First, dont buy from Dell, go online and get one from newegg or something. The, for your system get a GTX460 at max, for a GTX480 Id advise a whole new build as the CPU isn't going to keep up.

Also keep in mind only ATI HD5000 cards support 3 monitors for single card, unless you have 2 PCIe X16 ports, you'll still be limited with 2 monitors.

Finally, What CAD program will you be using, some will not benefit from a better GPU.

ccomito1223

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I'm running AutoCAD Inventor 2011. I need the 3 monitor support to help with the way our workflow is around here. We do a LOT of reference work and having the ability to span documents across all 3 would be most helpful. Not to mention that the current card simply isn't good enough to begin with for Inventor.

I'm also a little confuse as far as these cards go, I went to newegg and was looking at the card I mentioned in my first thread and there are like 10 different ones, what's the deal with that? Do they just have different attached RAM or is there something special about each one? Also, will this last question apply when I start looking for a GTX460?

Thanks to both of you..

The optiplex is horrible when it comes to air-flow, a GTX 480 will die in that case. You are better off with a 460 / 5850 just like Timpo pointed out.

There are different manufacturers to choose from but the cards are basically the same. Some have better cooling options and custom PCB's. Go with EVGA if you want an Nvidia card with lifetime warranty, or XFX if you choose to go with an ATI card.

And just like Timpo pointed out, stay away from Dell when it comes to your PC upgrades, they tend to charge up to 15% more compared to other e-tailors. Newegg is among the best places to shop for your hardware.

ccomito1223

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
What should I do about the power supply upgrade I need? Aren't they all about the same size, shape, etc with the exception of connectors and watts? Or does this case take some special size and connection options?

ccomito1223

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
It might be but I still need support for a 3rd monitor. From what I've read, the GTX 460 will do this but does it do it independantly? How would I split my signal? Do I simply connect one DVI connector to one monitor and then split the second connector to my other 2 monitors?

And as far as the power supply goes, Dell said I needed a "modular" supply. Does "modular" just mean a power supply? I've never seen one that isn't "modular".

Thanks again.

Timop

Distinguished

Dont believe in dell, Modular just means you can detach the power cable, it has nothing to do with the power output.

You got the wrong info when you read that the GTX460 can output 3 monitors at the same time, currently only the HD5000 series of cards can do that.

Also, you wont benefit at all with the extra performance given by a GTX460 for your needs, so I dont see a need.

Solution

ccomito1223

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Why wouldn't I benifit from the extra performance? I don't quite understand.

As far as the HD5000 goes, is that nVidia or someone else? Am I still looking for the same specs as the GTX460 as far as fit goes when looking for the HD5000 you mentioned?

Thank you again.

Timop

Distinguished

You wont benefit because Inventor does not utilize GPUs power, unless you're also working with another program that supports GPU acceleration, the performance is not going to improve at all.

The HD5000 is the ATI equivalent of the Nvidia GTX400 series, but for you a card like the HD5670 would be more than enough, and depeding on the size of the monitors you plan to run, you can even dip as low as the HD5450

ccomito1223

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Keep in mind that one reason for the upgrade is to gain support for a 3rd monitor as well as increase overall performance for other application. I tend to run Inventor along with many of the Adobe application simultaneously among others. Are either of these cards capable of that?

Timop

Distinguished

Do you run Premiere Pro? With that as the sole exception, everything else doesn't benefit from a GPU, but rather a better CPU and more RAM.

Both cards support a 3-monitor setup.

ccomito1223

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Yes I do run Premiere. And finally (hopefully my last) 2 more questions. Do I need to upgrade my power supply for either of those and are both of those cards the correct size and fit for my Optiplex?

Timop

Distinguished

Which 760 do you have? The mini-tower will fit and power either card just fine.

Couple things to note however, you will need an adapter if you don't have a displayport monitor for three monitors, and you cant enable MPE for Premiere Pro CS5 without hacking.

ccomito1223

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Ok, you may as well point me to whatever adapter I'll need. I plan to use 3 Dell 19 inch monitors that have (1) d-sub input and (1) DVI input (all the same). Is it simply a DVI splitter?

And thanks for the tip (MPE). I've looked into the hack and it seems doable.

Timop

Distinguished

What is the resolution of the monitors? You will need a DP->DVI/VGA adapter.

For most 19 inch monitors, this would be fine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815310003&cm_re=Displayport_-%3E_VGA-_-15-310-003-_-Product

ccomito1223

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Ok sounds good. And just to be clear, I'll use this in conjunction with a DVI-D Y Splitter Cable? The splitter going to 2 monitors and the Active DisplayPort to VGA Adaper to the 3rd right?

I don't know what my monitor resolution is or how I can tell?

Timop

Distinguished

No need for the splitter;
just DVI for the first monitor, DVI via HDMI (HD5670)/VGA (HD5450)for the second, and VGA via the DP adapter for the third.

What is the model for the monitors then?

Timop

Distinguished
I say stay with the graphics manufacturer that was integrated into the motherboard. If you have ATI chipset then upgrade with ATI card.
Same with nVidia, some people don't care and will 'crossover' integration but my opinion is not too.
He has an Intel chipset, you want him to get an i740?

Also, the Optiplex is a uATX micro-tower, considering how the hot the GTX480 runs in even a well-ventilated Mid-tower like the 300, imagine it in that tiny case with few fans, if it fits in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS