[SOLVED] Dell optiplex 780 usff budget gaming build

vstar950

Honorable
Jun 5, 2014
I have been given a Dell Optiplex 780 Ultra small form factor. I am interested in gutting it and putting a budget gaming build inside of it. If the processor has integrated graphics that is fine as well. Can anyone help me on this?

Solution
When you say "gutting it", what are you referring to exactly? Are you saying you just want to keep the case and replace all the insides? Is there a reason you want it to be this small?

What country are you shopping in and what's your actual budget.

There will be some issues inserting a "standard" mITX board that has a 24-pin power connector when the proprietary PSU inside that case only has a 4-pin and an 8 pin with very specialized cable lengths. Also, "standard" motherboards have a standard size/shape IO cluster in the back. The mobo in your 780 USFF is not standard. How much "case customization" are you open to? Measure the PSU, how close is it to this one? (3.2"x1.6"x5.9")

9.4"x2.6"x9.3" is pretty small, but do-able...
When you say "gutting it", what are you referring to exactly? Are you saying you just want to keep the case and replace all the insides? Is there a reason you want it to be this small?

What country are you shopping in and what's your actual budget.

There will be some issues inserting a "standard" mITX board that has a 24-pin power connector when the proprietary PSU inside that case only has a 4-pin and an 8 pin with very specialized cable lengths. Also, "standard" motherboards have a standard size/shape IO cluster in the back. The mobo in your 780 USFF is not standard. How much "case customization" are you open to? Measure the PSU, how close is it to this one? (3.2"x1.6"x5.9")

9.4"x2.6"x9.3" is pretty small, but do-able for a replacement. That's about the size of an Antec ISK 110. You'd be looking at an external (laptop-style) power supply.

Last edited:
Solution

vstar950

Honorable
Jun 5, 2014
I would like to keep the power supply, if not then I have no problem with a laptop power supply. I want to keep this case looking as original as possible. Preferably no mods to the case at all.

Psu 6 1/4×3×1 1/8
Mobo 8 7/8× 8 7/8

Project budget?

Start poking around with your ruler inside the case. You're going to be putting a 6.7" x 6.7" mITX board inside. Are the motherboard stand-offs in the correct locations?
Could you possibly stuff a low profile GPU in there (sideways from a riser cable)? Dual slot or single slot?

Last edited: