[SOLVED] Dell Optiplex 790 CPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2020
Hi, i've got a optiplex 790 with an i3 2120, and it's got a dell 0HY9JP OEM motherboard (q65 chipset) and i'm looking forward to upgrading to an i7 2600, i've seen people manage to upgrade just fine and some said it won't boot. they both share the same LGA 1155 socket and i'm using the latest bios software from dell.

I heard somebody say it works just fine but your onboard intel hd won't work and that shouldn't be a problem since i'm using a gtx 550ti.

View: https://imgur.com/g3pcu4r

View: https://imgur.com/spTlczo

Solution
Firstly, stop bumping and spamming the thread... someone will answer eventually if they have the time or knowledge.

Secondly, about your question... Here's the CPUs you can upgrade to... It's from the Optiplex tech guide, so these models are guaranteed to work:

IcSG9C0.jpg

Take note that the form factor matters here... if you've got the USFF Optiplex 790 only the S CPU variants will work(i5-2400S, I5-2500S, i7-2600S)... that's due to the lower 65W TDP, most likely on the USFF the power delivery on the motherboard is not up to par to support a 95W TDP CPU(like the non-S variants).

If you have one of the other form factors(SFF, DT or MT) the non-S variants will be compatible(95W TDP models).
Firstly, stop bumping and spamming the thread... someone will answer eventually if they have the time or knowledge.

Secondly, about your question... Here's the CPUs you can upgrade to... It's from the Optiplex tech guide, so these models are guaranteed to work:

IcSG9C0.jpg

Take note that the form factor matters here... if you've got the USFF Optiplex 790 only the S CPU variants will work(i5-2400S, I5-2500S, i7-2600S)... that's due to the lower 65W TDP, most likely on the USFF the power delivery on the motherboard is not up to par to support a 95W TDP CPU(like the non-S variants).

If you have one of the other form factors(SFF, DT or MT) the non-S variants will be compatible(95W TDP models).

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.