Question Dell optiplex 790 DT not getting any power.

tishawn.jacent

Prominent
Jul 29, 2018
I used a power cable from some other pc, I'm not sure witch one it's from. But I plugged it in, I took off the fan for the PC not the CPU, because it was so hard to spin and I thought that it would cause a fire, so when I plugged it in, it didn't even make any sound no lights came on, not even from the motherboard itself and I pressed the power button and nothing.

tishawn.jacent

Prominent
Jul 29, 2018
Was this PC working before, and if so how long ago? Have you tried a different outlet, or have another cable?
Well I got it from a friend that has no use for it, and it was in bad shape, rear PCI frame damaged, dusty as heck, especially the PSU I cleaned the fan of the PSU but not inside, and when me and my dad opened the PSU to check for any voltage and continuity, there was absolutely none, I used both of my available generic power cables, Never changed the outlet though, but we checked for voltage in the outlet too, and there was power, and I was not using a UPS. I'll send some pictures of it.

tishawn.jacent

Prominent
Jul 29, 2018

8 amps | 250Volts

I'm not sure what connects to this spiky looking thing here I know is Male though, what does it do?

Last edited:
It appears to be a USB header - the set of pins (header) would connect to a pair of exterior USB ports either on the case or through some extension. Many card readers made to fit in desktop 3.5" slots also use that header.

tishawn.jacent

Prominent
Jul 29, 2018
A typical reason for a desktop not to have power is that the PSU has failed and needs replacement.
One more thing, we even tested the Female end of the power cables, and we got no readings, idk if it's just a safety precaution that they put into the cable or whatever.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS