[SOLVED] Dell optiplex 790 sff

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Not much, that case means you can only fit in a half height GPU, and the PSU means you can't put a good GPU in anyway. CPU wise you can get the i7 2700 if you can find one.

Whats your budget, in most cases you're better off going new than trying to frankenstein that thing together with good parts.

Feb 25, 2019
As long as it can handle games like csgo for example without being under load it's fine and for day to day performance as long as it can handle some multitasking without slowing down dramatically it's fine.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
As long as it can handle games like csgo for example without being under load it's fine and for day to day performance as long as it can handle some multitasking without slowing down dramatically it's fine.

Yeah it will be an improvement, if those are your needs it should do the job. Just don't expect miracles.

Personally i would save your money and build yourself something new based on the Ryzen 5 2400G, but you'll need to double your budget and then some.

garycolman04

Commendable
Jan 7, 2018
The best cpu for the sff 790 is the i7 2600 as it has the HD 2000 inbuilt graphics, the i7 2700 is HD3000 and won't work. I fitted it and those 8 threads make a big difference. I also fitted a zotac LP gtx 1050 ti and have been running it for almost 2 years with no issues. It may be just getting the juice it needs on the raiI but so far so good. I was a bit concerned with TDP due to the low wattage psu but even with 16Gb ram, an ssd and large HD it doesn't get near it's limits. I even tried a little bit of mining :)

Reactions: Trigger12.T