Jul 21, 2020
Hi
i have a dell optiplex 9020 small form factor (i7-4790,16GB(2x8GB ddr3 1600),MB: 0xcr8d with intel Q87 chipset)
and use for rendering and gaming.

average of temp of i7-4790 with defult dell cpu cooler and heatsink is about 75C
and peak of cpu temp is 90C and overheat.

please recomended me effective cpu cooler for this seystem.
and i will moving this system to a larger case (atx case) and using standard atx power supply 330W.

Solution
I have dells at work but i dont have one in this model.

You first need to do some research and see if the mounting screws for the motherboard will actually line up with the standoffs for any other case. Looking at only pictures on the internet it looks to have the same mounting layout as an ATX case, but you need to double check.

Second, and once again only looking at internet pictures, that board doesnt use a standard 24pin power connector. So swapping out PSU might be a little more complicated.

As for cooler, first i would try replacing the thermal compound on the CPU and see if that helps out with your temps.

If you are able to swap out the case for a larger ATX case then cooling is limitless, you could go for...

You first need to do some research and see if the mounting screws for the motherboard will actually line up with the standoffs for any other case. Looking at only pictures on the internet it looks to have the same mounting layout as an ATX case, but you need to double check.

Second, and once again only looking at internet pictures, that board doesnt use a standard 24pin power connector. So swapping out PSU might be a little more complicated.

As for cooler, first i would try replacing the thermal compound on the CPU and see if that helps out with your temps.

If you are able to swap out the case for a larger ATX case then cooling is limitless, you could go for anything from a 240mm AIO cooler to a large air cooler. Since your CPU is locked and you cant overclock at all with a dell, something like this Cooler Master or Be Quiet will work just fine.

Reactions: raadeon
Solution
Jul 21, 2020

If you are able to swap out the case for a larger ATX case then cooling is limitless, you could go for anything from a 240mm AIO cooler to a large air cooler. Since your CPU is locked and you cant overclock at all with a dell, something like this Cooler Master or Be Quiet will work just fine.
thanks man

i wil checking about mounting motherboard in atx case.

for 8pin power dell motherboard issue i will using this adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/Eyeboot-8-Pin-Supply-Adapter-Motherboards/dp/B01A210HKO

about thermal compound i will do it and scan cpu temp.