Question Dell optiplex 9020 mt with 290watt psu...upgrade plans.

TechBloke

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2016
Hi all. I have this pc from a work sale and was going to apply the following upgrades: - cpu i5 4440s this is the "low power" version with 65watt rated as being max power draw, 8gb and a gpu. What I am most interested in is the choice of gpu. The pc is for a friend who is on a very strict budget. I already have an evga gt 740 sc 2gb ddr3 and was planning to install that. He is not interested in playing latest games but has a lot of old ones pre 2010. The psu requirement on spec is 400watts which for a gpu drawing power from pcie slot seems very excessive. Would the dell psu (80 bronze rated) 290 watt be sufficient? Thanks in advance.

Hi all. I have this pc from a work sale and was going to apply the following upgrades: - cpu i5 4440s this is the "low power" version with 65watt rated as being max power draw, 8gb and a gpu. What I am most interested in is the choice of gpu. The pc is for a friend who is on a very strict budget. I already have an evga gt 740 sc 2gb ddr3 and was planning to install that. He is not interested in playing latest games but has a lot of old ones pre 2010. The psu requirement on spec is 400watts which for a gpu drawing power from pcie slot seems very excessive. Would the dell psu (80 bronze rated) 290 watt be sufficient? Thanks in advance.
Actually, no more than 75W can be drawn from PCIe slot.