Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF Gaming upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrosmog

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
Hi,

I recently got a Dell 9020 SFF from a local seller for a great deal and am looking to turn it into a casual gaming rig that can handle mainstream games with higher graphics settings and a few old favorites. (Dota 2, CS Go, New Skyrim re-texture, Terraria, Minecraft and Steam indie games).

I've done quite a bit of research on my particular model, here is what I know:

Starting with the current specs:
Dell 9020 Sff
Windows 10 Pro
16Gb RAM (1333 Mhz)
1Tb 7200 rpm hdd (yes I know this isn't ideal but this is what it came with)
Intel i5-4590 3.3Ghz
Stock Dell 255w PSU

My current goal is to put a Nvidia GTX 750ti in it as that is about the most I want to spend on a graphics card at the moment.

NOW the ISSUE:
The Dell Optiplex 9020 Sff obviously wasn't designed with gaming in mind. It is a solid computer but as far as GPU selection goes options are limited. The motherboard has 1x PCIE x16 connector that the techs at dell verified can supply up to 75W. The single slot is half height and the manual lists it as low profile. I think this is because of the proximity to the PSU. From what I can tell the gtx 750ti gddr5 2gb low profile model will physically fit, but all information points to this exceeding the PSU's 255w power supply.

This is where I need someone who knows more than I do. Are there any power supply units physically small enough (10in x 3.125 in x 2.5 in) (L x W x H) that are capable of powering a gtx 750ti on-top of the current requirements for the computer?

Using the cooler-master PSU calculator it recommends that I have at least a 320W-350W power supply for the current config + the 750ti. If there aren't any available PSU's for a reasonable price, what is the possibility of transplanting the motherboard into a microATX case and getting a standard aftermarket PSU?

Any thoughts/ suggestions? I'm not opposed to physically modifying things a little, but would like to keep this as plug and play as possible.

-Pyro

My system looks exactly like the one pictured in this thread:
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/new-dell-optiplex-9020-with-i7-haswell-is-small-form-facotr-case-is-that-bad.8518/

Solution
You're right, the GTX750Ti can operate off a system outfitted with a 350W unit. Unfortuneatley I've been interested in building/rebuilding within the SFF OptiPlex's until the brick wall I hit was the PSU department. Officially the OEM for Dell's proprietary PSU don't make them any higher than 225W and you're not going to finding anything off the shelf that will remotely fit within the SFF chassis.

Transplanting the board isn't going to do any good either way even if the motherboard's mounting holes lined up, why? Since the board has proprietary connectors onboard(page 28)
GUID-BA054917-DA33-49EB-9011-29D953744AFD-low.jpg

which brings us back to not being...

Lutfij

Titan
You're right, the GTX750Ti can operate off a system outfitted with a 350W unit. Unfortuneatley I've been interested in building/rebuilding within the SFF OptiPlex's until the brick wall I hit was the PSU department. Officially the OEM for Dell's proprietary PSU don't make them any higher than 225W and you're not going to finding anything off the shelf that will remotely fit within the SFF chassis.

Transplanting the board isn't going to do any good either way even if the motherboard's mounting holes lined up, why? Since the board has proprietary connectors onboard(page 28)
GUID-BA054917-DA33-49EB-9011-29D953744AFD-low.jpg

which brings us back to not being able to drop in an off the shelf PSU in spite of transplanting in an aftermarket chassis.

Lastly, I know lower profile GTX750 Ti cards are plenty but they are all dual slot wide, not a single slot card.

No offence, but for gaming duties, you're best option is to build yourself an SFF system instead of tinkering with the OptiPlex. The latter would be great for your everyday computing/ workstation grade work off of a Radeon Pro WX4100.

Solution
no no

if you look here you can see that your board has a 25w slot limit

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19591472

maybe at best a gt 710 low pro card ?

then you got to figure out what there proprietary bios will allow you to use may not be able to use a card over NVidia 600 series ?

some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked or fixed'' bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your model first before you invest money in it .. there are a lot of these threads here at toms to look at some models will allow upgrades and some dont.. and a lot of guys here say ya ya ya when is really no no no...it would be sad you spent $200 on a card that wount post after you installed it as most find out. then get told its your psu and you spend more and end up right back where you are now, but its up to you good luck..

you got to know the the boards in these computers are not like the ones we use to do custom builds witch are open to upgrading with in the boards compatibly . the bios is custom made for there design and just for the parts they authorize to be used on there computers there only guaranteed to work as is out of the box as you bought it ,..

also these boards do not have to meet atx standards and there pci-e slot power may not do the required 75w needed for most higher end cards and can be limited to say 45 or 60w that is all thats needed with the low end factory oem cards that it may of shipped with

in the end any upgrade you do is all your own risk . the prebuilt manufactures only guarantees there computers work as sold to you as is out of the box from there factory with what they put on it , not a drop more

there in business to sell you whole ready to go computers , and dont worry about you upgrading them or giving you support to do so . thats not how they make there money they prefer you run to wal-mart and buy there ''better'' latest models

Status
Not open for further replies.