Dell OptiPlex 990

Jan 18, 2019
Hi, I was thinking about improving my computer. I have a Dell OptiPlex 990, full size (the largest), and I wanted to install a GT 1030, specifically the Gygabyte Gt 1030 2Bg Ddr5.
I would like to know if it is possible to install it on my computer.
Thank you.
(I used a translator in some parts)

Solution
You should have no problems installing that card, or up to a GTX1050Ti if you like. The computer does have a UEFI BIOS. A UEFI card will run, but you will need to change some settings to run a Legacy card which the 1030s tend to be. The 1030 might not be a huge improvement over the onboard GPU.
A GTX1050Ti,GTX 1050, or even a GTX750Ti would be better choices in that order. The 1030 will limit you to well below 1080P resolution. Those all can run without a 6 pin PCIe power cable. (be careful not to get one that needs it, there are a few of them).
You should have no problems installing that card, or up to a GTX1050Ti if you like. The computer does have a UEFI BIOS. A UEFI card will run, but you will need to change some settings to run a Legacy card which the 1030s tend to be. The 1030 might not be a huge improvement over the onboard GPU.
A GTX1050Ti,GTX 1050, or even a GTX750Ti would be better choices in that order. The 1030 will limit you to well below 1080P resolution. Those all can run without a 6 pin PCIe power cable. (be careful not to get one that needs it, there are a few of them).

Solution

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
The 1030 will limit you to well below 1080P resolution.

Yes, the 750Ti may be a better choice (although older, just like my GTX 770 Classified), but the GT 1030 is no pushover & renders 4K video perfectly fine. Here's the spec of my Optiplex 780 running an MSI 2GB GDDR5 GT 1030 OC.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/qNShPbzaCY8vKflqrCTZEdE

On a Core 2 Quad 9550 at that, who'd ever had thought it & 4K paired in the same sentence.:D

Just make sure not to get a DDR4 version, as most are of that type. I lucked out after sitting on my can while trying to decide & purchased after a week. By the time it came & saw how good it was on a Samsung 28" 4K monitor, was going to grab another just to have it, these are all sold out.

Funny thing, all that was left were the weaker 730's & these were priced higher than the GT 1030 I purchased. Actually wanted the EVGA model, as I prefer the brand, but was sold out.

BTW, this GT 1030 cannot only handle 4K, also has the full HDMI 2.0 spec, plus Displayport 1.4, this means HDR on a capable monitor. This Samsung was an earlier 4K, has a HDMI 2.0, 1.4 & DP 1.2, but it's SDR.

However, it's not going to game at 4K, may do OK at 1080p, Not bad for a card that pulls only 30W from the PCIe port. Another member from another forum stated that when running folding@home, his work units were higher versus a power hog of a GTS 450 he owns. Like myself, he wished he had purchased more than one.

Just wanted to set the record straight of the GT 1030 (2GB GDDR5 models only). Some OEM's has included these in mini towers & small form factor PC's.

In closing, not that I'm not a fan of these, prefer larger NVIDIA cards. However, it's impractical to upgrade the PSU of a Optiplex DT version, puts out only 255W max, so this fit the bill & didn't break the bank at $80.

Cat

TRENDING THREADS